Timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xman5768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2021
I have an 82 Buick Regal. I bought a motor off an 83 same v6 231 2brrl carb. I set the time to TDC and it will start and run as long as distributor plug that goes to ECM wiring harness is not plugged in. The min I plug that 4 plug in the motor dies out. If I plug it in and then try to start it will crank but not turn over. It does get spark an I have tried 2 distributors the one that was on the original 82 and the one that came with the motor off the 83 I need to know if it’s ecm, prom, do I need to set the timing to 6*. A friend said that it dies because the distributor and ECM are trying to time on its own that’s why it dies out. Please help!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 09C917FD-C0C7-4782-8355-1548DEFA1A8C.jpeg
    09C917FD-C0C7-4782-8355-1548DEFA1A8C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • 39693B3B-4E10-4591-9D8C-D0C97DA0E34F.png
    39693B3B-4E10-4591-9D8C-D0C97DA0E34F.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 103

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have an 82 Buick Regal. I bought a motor off an 83 same v6 231 2brrl carb. I set the time to TDC and it will start and run as long as distributor plug that goes to ECM wiring harness is not plugged in. The min I plug that 4 plug in the motor dies out. If I plug it in and then try to start it will crank but not turn over. It does get spark an I have tried 2 distributors the one that was on the original 82 and the one that came with the motor off the 83 I need to know if it’s ecm, prom, do I need to set the timing to 6*. A friend said that it dies because the distributor and ECM are trying to time on its own that’s why it dies out. Please help!!!!!!!
Hello, it sounds like your timing is too far advanced. Try turning the distributor clockwise about 1/4 " at a time until you can get it to run on its own, throw a timing light on it with the wire to the distributor UNPLUGGED,, time it according to spec, lock down the nut and plug it back in, should be good to go! (granted everything else is correct) GOOD LUCK!!

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
ALSO...
Set the timing to 15 Degrees Before Top Dead Center at idle, then reconnect the four wire connector at the distributor when finished.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Xman5768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2021
P
ALSO...
Set the timing to 15 Degrees Before Top Dead Center at idle, then reconnect the four wire connector at the distributor when finished.
perfect I have always set it at 0 and I can get it to run and idle perfect. Once I plug that plug in it dies. I will try the 15 and go from there

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
P

perfect I have always set it at 0 and I can get it to run and idle perfect. Once I plug that plug in it dies. I will try the 15 and go from there
Awesome, let me know how you make out! :)

Will

Reactions: 1 users

Xman5768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2021
Tied this and still no go. I plugged in 4 pin connector with ecm unplugged and car still started and idles perfect. Once I pig in ecm car dies out and won’t start. I then unplug 4 pin connector on distributor and try starting and it starts no problem and idles perfect.
I read somewhere to try
1)Disconnect the four wire connector going to the distributor.
2) Jump terminals A and B on the ALDL connector under the dash.
has anyone heard of this? I feel like just leaving 4 pin connected and moving on but don’t want to mess up this everyday cruiser. HELP!!!!

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
A lot of things running through my head, its so hard when I'm not there to personally look at it. I'm just throwing this out there, make SURE its not 180* out, those 3.8 will still start and idle when they are 180* off, yet that's all they will do, make sure when that #1 cylinder is coming up on TDC you have compression in that cylinder ( pull the plug and either screw a gage in the cylinder or have someone turn it over by hand and you throw your thumb over the spark plug hole and when you fee the compression, then you know its coming up on TDC. Just want to make sure

Will

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Can you rev the engine up with it unplugged, or can just an idle out of it ?

Xman5768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2021
Can you rev the engine up with it unplugged, or can just an idle out of it ?
It reveals fine and sounds perfect. I have good oil pressure no knocking. I’m gonna put everything else back together all vaccine lines and other parts and see what happens

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
It reveals fine and sounds perfect. I have good oil pressure no knocking. I’m gonna put everything else back together all vaccine lines and other parts and see what happens
Yeah, if you have vacuum lines and such not all hooked back up, and its sucking air, that can be an issue for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor