Timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
With the dist unplugged, the computer defaults to full rich. Also while the dist is unplugged there is no ignition t7ming advance so it should run like crap until it is plugged in and restores timing advance. My guess is you have a bad vacuum leak somewhere that causes the engine to only run at full rich. Other issues could be a fault in the EST system that causing the timing to be stuck in knock retard mode or the balancer slipped throwing the timing marks off.

Xman5768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2021
With the dist unplugged, the computer defaults to full rich. Also while the dist is unplugged there is no ignition t7ming advance so it should run like crap until it is plugged in and restores timing advance. My guess is you have a bad vacuum leak somewhere that causes the engine to only run at full rich. Other issues could be a fault in the EST system that causing the timing to be stuck in knock retard mode or the balancer slipped throwing the timing marks off.
When I loosen distributor bolt and rotate counter clockwise or clockwise I can get engine to run and sound perfect. From what I gather you are saying the ecm and distributor plugged in will auto advance the timing. So by putting timing before top dead zero should help out allowing the ecm and distributor to auto advance it to run better. My question is how to get it started when it no timed correctly. I have never worked on a g body that has this auto timing feature. I have only messed with timing by rotating distributor after putting HB on top dead zero.

Xman5768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2021
When I loosen distributor bolt and rotate counter clockwise or clockwise I can get engine to run and sound perfect. From what I gather you are saying the ecm and distributor plugged in will auto advance the timing. So by putting timing before top dead zero should help out allowing the ecm and distributor to auto advance it to run better. My question is how to get it started when it no timed correctly. I have never worked on a g body that has this auto timing feature. I have only messed with timing by rotating distributor after putting HB on top dead zero.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You set the base timing (computer advance disabled) at 6 degrees before TDC. Though you can set it up to 10 degrees before TDC. The computer does not control base timing, only advance and retard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor