Tin worms & the Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A few days ago I went to check things with my Monte body at the in-laws & start preping for the move home. Checking the rust situation in regards of having good pick up points (to be hand carried to the trailer) & I noticed the lower rear portions are not looking too great. The drivers side rear body mount brace turned to dust as I touched it. I was expecting to do the trunk floor & drivers seat floor but from sitting outside didn't help adding extra work on the quarters. Dispite all the work to protect it from thr elements, western Pa weather found ways around all I did (being diven daily in all weather over the years didn't help either.) Now I am trying to figure out patch panels, hammer & dolly new panels/patches, or rebody. Its already bad enough I need a better passenger door & trunk lid & make a new passenger side front body mount position. I think the worst part would telling the wife the Monte fund needs built up to cover additional parts cause I know I'll find more work tha needs to be done as I cut out the bad. I would like to say hell with things & find a good body to cut down on work but finding the right body in Pa is a challenge. Sticking with a '81 body is a bigger challenge (going newer the trunk will have spring rods instead of the crappy shocks.) The joys of hot rodding in the rust belt. Now the new fun starts.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
A few days ago I went to check things with my Monte body at the in-laws & start preping for the move home. Checking the rust situation in regards of having good pick up points (to be hand carried to the trailer) & I noticed the lower rear portions are not looking too great. The drivers side rear body mount brace turned to dust as I touched it. I was expecting to do the trunk floor & drivers seat floor but from sitting outside didn't help adding extra work on the quarters. Dispite all the work to protect it from thr elements, western Pa weather found ways around all I did (being diven daily in all weather over the years didn't help either.) Now I am trying to figure out patch panels, hammer & dolly new panels/patches, or rebody. Its already bad enough I need a better passenger door & trunk lid & make a new passenger side front body mount position. I think the worst part would telling the wife the Monte fund needs built up to cover additional parts cause I know I'll find more work tha needs to be done as I cut out the bad. I would like to say hell with things & find a good body to cut down on work but finding the right body in Pa is a challenge. Sticking with a '81 body is a bigger challenge (going newer the trunk will have spring rods instead of the crappy shocks.) The joys of hot rodding in the rust belt. Now the new fun starts.
Just how bad is it? Can you get some pictures? It's hard to give advice on without seeing it

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I should of taken a few when I was there but for how crappy my phone is with the camera it wouldn't be worth it. I'm suppose to go visit it again this weekend & I'll have to take the regular camera for better pics. The big thing I gotta work around with this is the budget. I've been looking at cost of panels & what other hammers & dollys I'll need for hammering out panels. What makes this even more fun is that I want the car back to its original color black, so bad panel repair will be very noticable.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I should of taken a few when I was there but for how crappy my phone is with the camera it wouldn't be worth it. I'm suppose to go visit it again this weekend & I'll have to take the regular camera for better pics. The big thing I gotta work around with this is the budget. I've been looking at cost of panels & what other hammers & dollys I'll need for hammering out panels. What makes this even more fun is that I want the car back to its original color black, so bad panel repair will be very noticable.
Well I can tell you this I'm a body man I do heavy collision take I-CAR the hole "9" my favorite hammer I got on eBay it's a Marten and my favorite dolly is a pice of fork torched off of a fork lift so when you're building panels think outside the box

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My best dolly that I had 20 years ago was a small wood stool my grandfather made back in the '40's when he was a bodyman for Greyhound. He had some nice contours in it for shaping panels. Used it for my '72 Monte trunk floor & a lower fender patches. Wish my louse of an uncle never took it.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Or, you could buy lilbowtie's 81 Monte and be driving this summer.

I grew up in the rust belt, there's no way I would get into major rust repair/panel replacement on a relatively common car that has little value to most of the hobby. Life's too short.

• Agree

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Or, you could buy lilbowtie's 81 Monte and be driving this summer.

I grew up in the rust belt, there's no way I would get into major rust repair/panel replacement on a relatively common car that has little value to most of the hobby. Life's too short.

Lilbowtie actually sold his car the other day. I just saw the post. It was a gorgeous '81 Monte Carlo.
Post#16. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/81-monte-landau.63171/page-2.

I'd like to see pics of this car your talking about as well pagrunt.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I remember him posting about selling it. It woud of been ashame for me to cut up a nice car for mine..
I think the suggestion to buy it was to replace your car completely not cut it up to use it for your car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I know but I got my frame done, have the 350/saginaw to go in & I'm still stubborn enough to keep wanting to do the tear down/rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor