Tips for changing intake manifold

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
SHE STARTS!!!

But she runs a little rough. I turned the distributor a little counterclockwise and it fired up. Question. Can I adjust the distributor while the car is running? Or do I have to shut it off every time I want to turn it?

It also shot a sh*t load of black stuff out of my exhaust pipe. I think that was just all the mess that got in the heads while I was working

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

NickC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2017
SHE STARTS!!!

But she runs a little rough. I turned the distributor a little counterclockwise and it fired up. Question. Can I adjust the distributor while the car is running? Or do I have to shut it off every time I want to turn it?

It also shot a sh*t load of black stuff out of my exhaust pipe. I think that was just all the mess that got in the heads while I was working
If it's running and needs little tweaking I'll leave it running I find it best to let the motor warm up

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
SHE STARTS!!!

If it's running and needs little tweaking I'll leave it running I find it best to let the motor warm up

Yes you can turn the distributor while the car is running.

Letting it warm up will make it easier to tune.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the black stuff is just the excess fuel burning off and use a timing gun to set your timing, with the vacuum advance plugged. Turning it counterclockwise advances the timing

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Yippee ! Always good when the patient wakes up after anesthesia !

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
So my dumb *ss forgot to put some sort of stoper in my new intake. It has a hole right where the coolant runs through that I didn't even notice. Made a little mess of antifreeze but that's how you learn I guess. Need to go to the hardware store and but a threaded plug.

Another question. Anyone know what this does? Runs from the passenger valve cover to my air cleaner, and there's a little foam filter on the other side of that white plastic nozzle coming out of the air cleaner.
IMG_3691.JPG

Yet another problem that arises because of the increased height haha. Do I absolutely need this? And no, I can't just pull it out and bend it. She's in there, and it's attached to something. On the other side of the valve cover there's is a metal flap that I assume let's oil into the air cleaner? Not sure.

If I don't need it, I'll just stop up the holes on both ends for now. If I do need it, I guess I can try to fab something up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can get a fitting to go into the valve cover grommet and use a hose to attach the two fittings to each other.

• Agree

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
you can get a fitting to go into the valve cover grommet and use a hose to attach the two fittings to each other.
Good idea. I just don't want to tear anything up by ripping that thing out. I'll give it a shot though

• Friendly

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor