tips for engine detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Heys Guys hope everyone is safe . Tomorrow will be my last day at work for I think 8 weeks . I will be detailing the engine and engine bay of my 1980 442 any tips on this topic is greatly appreciated .hope all you guys stay safe and healthy Take care and all the best Jeff from Winnipeg

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The ones I’ve done in car I’ve stripped the engine accessories down the long block in the car. Then used lots of brake cleaner and paper towels to clean it all.

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
Look up a company called Car Brite. They sell a product called Blue Max that is a great all around cleaner, But when you mix it with there other product called Converter it makes the best engine degreaser I ever used. Have been using it since the late 80s. clings on everything, doesnt stink to bad and will with minor scrubbing around make your entire engine bay look like new. Works real well on tires also.

Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
You can never have enough old toothbrushes. I never throw out toothbrushes they go to the garage for car detailing. I've used many Eastwood products under the hood and have been satisfied with the results .

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Time and patience. How clean do want it ? Its much easier and you can do a better job with the motor out of the car.
I like color under the hood. Gloss paint on the block and some accessories. Semi gloss on the frame and brackets. If the firewall is black, I use color on the block. If the firewall is body color, motors gloss black. Eastwood has a big selection of aerosol detail paints for under the hood. I used Seymore stainless steel on the water pumps on both of these motors. Cast blast on the masters. SEM Ultra Black trim paint seems to look good on parts too. New split loom also makes things look clean.
Thats just my taste though. Everyone has a different idea.
Just make sure everything is super clean before you paint or it wont last.

IMG_0104.jpg IMG_0453.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Whatever you do, DON'T spray a bunch of clear coat under there.
Cream hand cleaner is awesome for reconditioning wires. That's about all I got...

I clearcoated a hand polished intake several years ago and it yellowed.
It was a bugger to get the clear coat off,LOL
I've never tried hand cleaner on wires,but every year I take my plug wires off and wipe them down with Mothers Protector.
That seems to work pretty good.
I usually keep on top of my engine compartment,but every once in a while I spray the frame with Gunk engine degreaser and spray it off with a garden hose.Then I will take the paint that I use for my frame and floor and I will paint as much of the front frame as I can reach.
Before going to a car show,while everything is nice and clean I spray the inner fenders,firewall,etc.,with Stoner Trim Shine.
An air compressor is handy for blowing dirt and dust off of the engine.
I also take the valve covers off and clean them and put a couple coats of wax on them.
The air cleaner top gets polished,and heater hoses get wiped down with the Mothers or something similar.
Guy
Guy
IMG_0812.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Whatever you do, DON'T spray a bunch of clear coat under there.

This ^^^^ Upon recommendation of a body shop guy I tried this on an Edelbroke intake and the clear yellowed and flaked off.

FYI....I use aluminum header paint to paint aluminum FEAD assesories, intakes and transmission cases. Very durable and easy to clean since it fills in the porosity of the aluminum.

1585413180594.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor