BUICK Tips for right rear plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi guys. So I don’t know if I was stupid or brave to try to undertake this project, but I attempted to change all my plugs and wires today.

I thought I managed to successfully complete the job. On the test drive, I noticed it started to run a little lumpy, and I got a minor backfire.

When I got back home, I noticed the right rear wire boot had come off the plug (if it was ever fully on in the first place). I’m not surprised that was the culprit, since it was a pain in the @$$ to remove and replace that plug in the first place.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for getting the boot on the right rear plug securely without having to disassemble half the engine bay. I limped it into the garage for the night on five cylinders.

I’m thinking tomorrow I might try to take off the right front wheel and try to get to it through the wheel well. Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you have it figured out, remove the wheel and go through the wheel well... :)

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yep, take the wheel off and reach into the fender. helps if the motor is dead cold. make sure you feel/hear the snap sound of the terminal connecting.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
As bad as this is, I can only imagine what a pain it is on the 4th-gen F-Body! 😜 Seems Like you’d have to get to nearly all of them from underneath.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Well, I took your guys’ advice and went through the wheel well. I was able to push the boot down on the plug and get that satisfying “thwunk” I was hoping for. I cut a notch in the wheel well liner for easier access when I have to do the plugs in the future. Runs much smoother on all six cylinders than five! 😜

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
IMG_0985.JPG
Are Buick V6 cylinder numbers the same as Chevy V6? #1 is driver's side front, #2 is passenger side front. Firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2. According to the distributor wire hold-down, #1 is at the 1 o'clock position on the cap.
I was able to change all six plugs from above with only the left index knuckle getting a shave on one of the heat shields. Compression check yielded 120 psi on #1, #2, #5, #6, and 90-100 psi on #3 and #4. Wire looms are shot.

I assume the green pigtail is diagnostic plug for the carb solenoid?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor