Tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
So I'm running a set of us mag 20s on my grandprix the front are 20x8 and the rears are 20x9.5 with a +1 offset. The website I order from only show offsets and us a rim simulator for what fits and what doesn't..my car is going to be lowered about two inches and I'm thinking about running a 295/30/20 In the rear. I have 275s I purchased but thinking about buying 295s.. Will 295s work on the grandprix without a frame notch?
1505143539362_9112276715_cff41f5c.jpg

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If you have the wheels, put the car on jack stands and bolt both wheels on and check.

The section width of 295's on 9.5" wheels is going to be about 11.5" (so about 1" wider than the wheel inside of the bead) and you'll need another 3/8" for movement.

If the frame is closer than 1.3" to the inside bead at any point along the axles upward/downward travel path, the 295 tires will rub.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
If you have the wheels, put the car on jack stands and bolt both wheels on and check.

The section width of 295's on 9.5" wheels is going to be about 11.5" (so about 1" wider than the wheel inside of the bead) and you'll need another 3/8" for movement.

If the frame is closer than 1.3" to the inside bead at any point along the axles upward/downward travel path, the 295 tires will rub.
thanks for that info if I was at home I would be able to check but I am currently overseas. I was going to go ahead and purchase my tires but I wanted to get a little info before I did. I was just curious if I could keep the 295 in the fender with the drop

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
thanks for that info if I was at home I would be able to check but I am currently overseas. I was going to go ahead and purchase my tires but I wanted to get a little info before I did. I was just curious if I could keep the 295 in the fender with the drop

With a Fender pull and roll (and spacers with those wheels) you could fit 295's, but with a 2" drop it will be very tough on a GP. With a Regal or MC it would be easier, but the GP fenders are slightly narrower. The easiest way to get 295's to work on a lowered car you actually intend to drive around corners, is a frame notch.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
With a Fender pull and roll (and spacers with those wheels) you could fit 295's, but with a 2" drop it will be very tough on a GP. With a Regal or MC it would be easier, but the GP fenders are slightly narrower. The easiest way to get 295's to work on a lowered car you actually intend to drive around corners, is a frame notch.
so its probably best to stick with the 275 for now with the drop. I don't know how much I would be charged to notch the frame.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Moot point, I don't think 9.5s with a +1 offset are going to fit a stock frame....that's 5.25" backspace and my experience has been that 245s with a 5 " backspace 8" wheel rub

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Moot point, I don't think 9.5s with a +1 offset are going to fit a stock frame....that's 5.25" backspace and my experience has been that 245s with a 5 " backspace 8" wheel rub
I'll probably have to run spacers on the rear..i just ordered what the experts said would fit..the website picks the wheels that are a match for your car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor