Tire size for a stock 86 Monte Carlo SS Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.

86mcarlo

n00b
Apr 22, 2019
Hello, I am relatively new to the G body scene and am looking for some answers. I recently bought a '86 monte carlo ss and the tires need to be replaced. I like how the white letter tires look on the car so I want to stick with that style. I am wondering what biggest tire I can fit on a stock 15x7 ss rim is, without cutting up anything underneath to make them fit. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

cody

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
By stock, are you referring to the alloy rims that came as original equipment with the car? That potentially being the case, you need to determine what the backspace for your rims is. Backspace is the distance from the mounting flange to the outside edge of the rim. The deeper the backspace, alternatively termed the offset (this terms subject to dispute) the closer the wheel comes to touching the inner wheel house. The shallower the backspace, the closer the wheel comes to touching the lip on the fender seam. I have run 205/70R15's on a 15 inch Chevelle style steel rim and not encountered rub or interference. Not sure what is on my fancy alloy rims; parked them in favor of the 15's to get a little extra ground clearance. Seem to recall the that my stockers were only 14 inch. You might be able to look at rims from another vehicle line such as the El Camino or the Camaro for a little help. The Elky might measure out the same but the Camaro rims could be shallower, allowing you to employ at slightly fatter tire. Mostly this could prove to be a trial and error situation unless you know a very understanding salvage yard that will allow you to test fit rims to find what you need or what will fit

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OE size is P215/65R15, about a 26"(+/-.01") tall tire. This was the OE 15" tire across the board for all "performance" G's. A popular +1 size is the P235/60R15 that is wider & is about as tall.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I have a 88 Monte Carlo SS that I ran a 245/60R/15 on the stock N90 aluminum wheels with no issues.
I've since switched to a set of 15x8 Corvette rally's with the same tire and have only a light rub in front at the sway bar at full lock. Shows up as a "clean " spot on the sway bar.
My brother has the same size tire on his 85 SS with the steel Monte Carlo SS wheel and has no issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor