Tires and wheels, 1979 Buick Sport Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2021
Just bought a very clean 79 Century with the Sport suspension and Pontiac 301. Going back to my roots, it will soon have a BBB, ford 9 inch and not yet sure of 22r4 or T-400. As a new member of this board, I hope I can get some help with G-body questions. My 30 plus year history of street cars and bracket racing with Buicks has been A body cars. This 79 Century is my first G body. What's the biggest tire wheel package assuming "big and littles" on the Sport wagon? And....(I haven't picked the car up yet, bought it at auction on Bring a Trailer today!). I assume its a GM 4.75 inch bolt pattern? I'm thinking this car neds a set of GN wheels (re-pro or real)
Thanks in advance for help with these questions!!!

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Welcome to the Forum. You're talking my language. I have a 78 Buick Century. I started building it, but it got moved to the back burner for another G Body project. I have a BBB (462) / T-400 / 8.8" rear. Got lots of parts for this car - turbo hood, Turbo Coupe rear spoiler, nice rear plastic, B&M Stealth shifter, SP1 intake, Stage 1 heads, Blazer brake upgrade. Looking forward to see what you do with your car.

Yes, 5x4.75. Most of the 275 drag radials or 28 x10.5 will fit without too much trouble. Notch the frame, and/or trim the fender lip if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
As mentioned above. It all depends how far you are willing to go.

Can you post a picture or combination you desire?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
Post some pics of your new acquisition when you get a chance. I'm sure some of us would like to see what it looks like.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'd also love to see some pictures! If it's that white one in AZ I assume it is, it looks like a very clean example. I have seen a slim handful of actual sport wagons. Maybe 3 total online? I actually thought it was only in literature and not actually ever ordered.

275's fit on the rear well. I had them on my 80 century wagon.

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I also would like to see some pics of this bad boy. Century Sport Wagon’s are rad. 😎

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Just bought a very clean 79 Century with the Sport suspension and Pontiac 301. Going back to my roots, it will soon have a BBB, ford 9 inch and not yet sure of 22r4 or T-400. As a new member of this board, I hope I can get some help with G-body questions. My 30 plus year history of street cars and bracket racing with Buicks has been A body cars. This 79 Century is my first G body. What's the biggest tire wheel package assuming "big and littles" on the Sport wagon? And....(I haven't picked the car up yet, bought it at auction on Bring a Trailer today!). I assume its a GM 4.75 inch bolt pattern? I'm thinking this car neds a set of GN wheels (re-pro or real)
Thanks in advance for help with these questions!!!
Welcome! Would love to see some pictures of your newly acquired wagon!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh and here is my wagon on 15x8.5 rear vectors with 275/50/15 drag radials on the back. These wheels had 3.375" backspace which is a little small and they stuck out more than ideal. They cleared no problem, but stuck out too much to really tuck the wheel under the tub.

The rear wheel tubs on the wagons aren't anything special or smaller than any other G body so a 15X8 with 4" BS fits well.

1616437279792.png

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor