Title washed vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
In California an El Camino is a "light duty truck," just like say a C2500. Costs more to register than a "passenger car," but unlike one of those, you can legally swap a late model Big Block into it, because the state considers any truck under 10,000 lb "light duty."
Ermm...

CARB considers 8501-14000 gvwr "medium duty"...

Cite to CARB:
Screenshot_20220308-010909_Chrome.jpg

Your confusion might come from the idea of a 2500 series truck. General Millenial made a subset series of 2500 trucks which weren't true c2500s. They called them '2500 light duty' trucks and they came with 6 lug suspensions instead of 8 lug, and a thinner lighter weight frame underneath.

Supposedly it was a niche product for urban cowboys that wanted a slightly heavier duty product than a 1500 but didn't need the full capability the medium duty lines of trucks offered.

The part of not sure of offhand is the overlap with the 1500HD product, it could be that one led to the creation of the other.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
It seems like an apple to oranges comparison.

2x 195x Apache trucks. Both in ones possession. Build one good truck from the two especially if one is too far gone since they both can't be on the road. They are basically the same thing w/all parts interchangeable.

A panel van to an El Camino? Not quite the same thing. An El Camino to an El Camino from the same era? As long as you possess the titles to both, what difference would it make? Not an El Camino & station wagon even though the frames are similar. Not an El Camino & 2 or 4 door either....
wasn't trying to do an A to A comparison, just pointing out that there may be hoops he will have to jump thru to get done what needs to get done. you know how the DMV can be.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Didn't Delaware used to offer the same sort of "assistance" in connection with titling cars with dubious pedigrees and back stories?

Nick

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Ermm...

CARB considers 8501-14000 gvwr "medium duty"...
You're right. I meant 8,500 lb or less, I think. It's been a few years since I looked at that. I think (THINK) the general point was correct, though, that you can swap a truck BBC into an El Camino. That's what I remember concluding, anyway. Maybe it was only certain BBCs out of certain trucks? GAH!!! This kind of thing is why I had to get rid of my Malibu ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor