TMI Pro Series Lowback Sport Bucket Seat install and impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
So I stopped by Summit Racing in Atlanta and was able to sit in and see some of the seats that they sell, and by far the TMI seats were the better quality product compared to the summit brand seats and the procar seats. These seats were not as cheap but they are heads and tails above in quality and material. Now, these are not made specifically for our cars and even if you have the bucket seat mounts on the inside of the car this install will take some fabrication. I am a very tall guy at 6'7" and the existing bench seat needed to go down about 4 inches and back about the same. I ordered what I thought was the universal mounting bracket by TMI but instead I ordered the TMI 68 to 72 cutlass mounting bracket and this mounting bracket moves the seat toward the middle of the car, not what you want with these seats. I had to cut, weld and paint to get the seats as close to the door as possible. You may notice that the seat lever is into the carpet by the door, for me that is how it needs to be as I am very tall, for anyone else the seat would be mounted higher and wouldn't be a problem. I have since swapped out the seat belts for black bucket seat belts as well. These seats are a charcoal color and I think most people expect them to be black but they are more of a grey color, glad I saw them before just showing up in a greyish color. Now all I need is some sort of console. TMI makes one but it is really expensive but it looks really nice.

Attachments

• 20210523_124944.jpg
    20210523_124944.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 20210523_124907.jpg
    20210523_124907.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 20210523_124944.jpg
    20210523_124944.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For me no headrests would be a no go, as far as seat mounting I like to use power seat bases and mount them to aftermarket bucket seats because they have the
capability to go lower and farther back than standard mounts and I also make floor mounts that will move the seat back an additional couple inches.

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
Good to know, I didn't realize that the power seat bases went lower and further back. I did the same as far as the seat bracket mounts, I made my own and moved the seat back.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hmmm. A little sketchy in my opinion. I think those brackets would affect impact testing. I understand why you’re doing it but don’t forget safety. A few of those look like they’re secured only at one point in the front. I’m responsible to meet impact testing in my job so it’s at the forefront.

Reactions: 1 users

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
Hmmm. A little sketchy in my opinion. I think those brackets would affect impact testing. I understand why you’re doing it but don’t forget safety. A few of those look like they’re secured only at one point in the front. I’m responsible to meet impact testing in my job so it’s at the forefront.
Not sure if you are asking me or 565bbchevy but mine are almost the same. I ordered the seat brackets that are welded to the floor from GBodyParts and welded those in as mine was a bench seat so I didn't have the ones toward the tunnel. I welded those in and made brackets like 565bbchevy to mount the brackets from TMI for the seats. These seat brackets have only 4 secured points, 2 up front and 2 in the back, not four in the back like the stock buckets. I did not do what a lot of people do and only secure it on the side by the door or drill holes through the floor for mounting. The only real difference is that I started with 1/4 inch plate home made brackets, maybe a little over kill but I feel better. You can get seat relocation brackets like 565bbchevy shows in his photos of his front brackets from YearOne to relocate seats back as far as 2" I believe, I would hope that those are safe, I have them in my Chevelle and all of them only have one connection at the floor to the front seat and one connection to the back floor to the seat. I would be curious to see if anyone has done any testing on those though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I made mine out of 1/4" steel plate with grade 8 hardware that is fully welded to the plate and then mounted to the factory locations using all of he factory hardware to secure them and also using the factory GM Gbody power bases. Safety concerns me also and even though I obviously have not crash tested my car I do feel these would meet or exceed the factory set up.
Multiple vendors also sell something similar but I can't confirm how well made they are.
It's also a safety issue if your knees are touching the steering wheel when you turn.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor