To RTV or not to RTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
My 15 year old son is replacing the oil pan on the 350 Rocket that he's prepping for his '78 Calais. Been helping him in the evenings but he's been trying to do what he can while I'm at work. He put the new one on yesterday and installed the gasket set dry. Been almost 30 years since I did this on mine, but I seem to remember having to put RTV in each corner between the cork and rubber ends. Will he be ok or do we need to drop it again and goop it?

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
FIRST thought is yes , it's easy now........later no some much

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed. Drop it a bit and put the RTV where it normally resides. Probably won't have to goop the whole gasket, but at least the 4 corners.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, RTV where the gaskets meet or have a gap. I've gotten really bad. I schmear some Permatex Ultra Black on EVERYTHING lately. Not a lot, just enough to cover everything with a film. No leaks and it stays in place.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor