To tow or not to tow partiers cars parked in my yard

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
So I'm having an ongoing situation with some people down the street. They throw a party every Saturday and park in my yard. Block driveways, pee in my yard(my girlfriend, son walked out to that yesterday), leave trash and generally disrespectful. They block multiple neighbors drive all night. We call the police but nothing is ever done. They just let them party as long as they don't block the road. I'm talking 40-50 cars all parked along the streets(none of them cool). So I figured I'd would buy a no parking, towed at owners expense sign, but I'm not about bluffing so if I put the sign out, I'm calling tow trucks. Dors anyone have any advice on the legality of this, or any better ideas. I'm not onto ruining peoples fun but damn, my ol lady is over it so I gotta fix it.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Check your local ordinances for what you can/can't do. Last thing you need is to pull the trigger on an action and find out you're the one sharing a cell with Bubba. Wrong as it would be, but you know how that sh*t can blow up in your face sometimes.

Indy, is it? I retired from Lilly, coincidently. I didn't live and work in Indy proper, but that is where the mother ship is located.

Where we used to live, we had a similar sort of issue. Partying neighbors' friends came and parked in our front yard AND the end of the driveway as we didn't have curbs. WTF? We posted signs, and they got ignored. We put railroad ties in and situated them a way to make like a flower box near the edge of the property, and drilled a few holes in them and drove rebar into the ground to secure them. That took care of those parkers, but every now and again we'd come home from somewhere and someone parked AT THE END of the drive way. Cops told us we could call a tow truck on them, but I'd rather give them a chance to fix it themselves. Most of the time they would move, but sometimes they'd act like a-holes. So I called the cops and told them I thought I saw people going into the neighbors yard with baggies with white powder and carrying bongs and other junk. Not sure what could be going on over there. Ruined their day on several occasions until the guy lost his job and they moved. Thankfully.

You could also take an old raggedy lawn mower and run over some limbs or other hard debris in the yard, with the discharge pointed at their cars. Oops. If they're POSs that may not matter, though.

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If they are actually in your yard. Call the police. NOT the local police though, call the state police. Explain the situation and tell them you have now confiscated the vehicle. Make sure you have do not trespass signs posted. Owner will not legally be able to get the car. That day at least... They would literally have to take you to court to get their own vehicle back. Meanwhile, you would be charging whatever you want per day for storage fees. Say $150/day. Court will take at least a month to happen. That's a chunk of $

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
parking on the street is usually public parking. parking on your property or blocking the driveway can be illegal. contact a local tow company and ask if they want to split the $$ from towing away illegal parkers. start checking the vehicles for current registration, if not current then call the cops and tell them there is an expired registration abandoned vehicle in front of your property. unlike 69hurstolds, I AM about ruining their fun cuz they're pssing me off.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
I love ruining other peoples' fun. This is a great problem to have. So many fun ways to handle it, the possibilities are literally endless.

Do you own a truck? If cars are parked in your yard (not the street on front of your yard) I'd hook a chain up and drag them out in the street.

Street is usually public domain, not much you can do about it. In your yard, that's another story.

Also, peeing in your yard? Call the police. Charges on that rack up quickly. Especially if a child witnessed it. Public intoxication, damage to property, public indecency, corruption of a minor, probably more.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Yea they're in the yard. The cops (metro) told them not to park or block the street over the speaker. I let it slide more then a few times. I looked into it more and the law isn't clear or I can't find the right code. It says you have to give 24hr notice unless it's an emergency situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bsquar...an-emergency-situation-under-indiana-law/amp/

I don't know of if that applies to me. But technically I can't use my property. I'm gonna call a tow company and maybe the state police like suggested. The neighbor lady went to the house last night and said there's no furniture or appliances it's empty. It's just a party house.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'd say plant drugs and call the cops. But, that could have serious repercussions.

But, a few loose valve stem valves is pretty harmless messaging.

Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have pieces of non-legal advice.

#1 - ask the town to declare the road no parking.

#2 - read up on your town/city/county ordinances. You know when you pull into some businesses and they have signs listing a local towing company, non patrons towed blah blah blah? There's signage requirements.

#3 - based on number two, call around to some local towing outfits and ask them if they would like the exclusive right to send a half dozen trucks once a week and make those tows. They provide the signs, youll post em.see what they say.

#4 - Checking with the police at the local barracks/station. Ask what you need to post in order for an officer to be able to respond to the property and do a 'police ordered tow'

#5 - split rail fence at property line so they can't pull into yard

#6 - no trespassing signs at curb, spike strips hidden in grass.

#7 - have the police issue trespass notices to the owners of the respective cars each time one is on the property. It appears a second time, invoke penalties under law.

#8 - combine some versions of the above with purchase of parking boots and install the boot on the vehicle, after confirming legality with police dept for use on private property.

#9 - You said the people are 'not cool'..... invest in somethings that go Pew Pew and discuss your local castle doctrine rules, or lack thereof. because depending on what option you go with, altercations are near certain.

#10 - file police complaints, have reports taken of license numbers and numbers of cars, and have officers list which address the party is at. Multiple times of night to show how late. Not your statement, but their own observations. Then sue to have the st address declared a nuisance, include noise ordinance violations, refuse in yards, etc.

#11 - if you're not on septic literally flood your front yard for days ahead of time. Let them sink in up to the floorboards.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So I'm having an ongoing situation with some people down the street. They throw a party every Saturday and park in my yard. Block driveways, pee in my yard(my girlfriend, son walked out to that yesterday), leave trash and generally disrespectful. They block multiple neighbors drive all night. We call the police but nothing is ever done. They just let them party as long as they don't block the road. I'm talking 40-50 cars all parked along the streets(none of them cool). So I figured I'd would buy a no parking, towed at owners expense sign, but I'm not about bluffing so if I put the sign out, I'm calling tow trucks. Dors anyone have any advice on the legality of this, or any better ideas. I'm not onto ruining peoples fun but damn, my ol lady is over it so I gotta fix it.
As a second thought... I'm not sure how indy records work compared to what I'm familiar with. Would you mind PMing me the street address of the offending house? It almost sounds like a trap house

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Can you find out who owns the house where the parties are being held? Is it a rental property?

As someone with experience managing rental properties, if I received a letter, (especially one with a lawyer's letterhead) that one of my tenants was throwing disruptive parties regularly at the property I owned, I'd be having words with said tenant.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor