Too loud. Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

je43278

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
Well it seems I have a bit of a situation here with my landlord. I live in a quiet little trailer park with old people all around me and they have been complaining about my SS. I somewhat agree. Its a bit loud, but I like it too. At the moment I am running a 350 with Hooker long tubes into 3 inch duals all the way back to flowmasters, then 3 inchers over the rear end and exit through Magnaflow tips under the rear bumber. In my defense, it is a full exhaust system! :twisted: I could use some ideas on how to tone it down a bit without losing too much sound. I don't like the idea of putting cats on it. Is there anything else I can do? I was thinking maybe putting some kind of resonators toward the back, but I'm not sure if that will help. 🙁

little more expensive but change the over-the-axle pipes to 2.5, the increase in velocity may even produce more power. also, you can get an X-pipe. this will smooth out the sound and produce more power.

je43278 said:
... all the way back to flowmasters...

And here we have the problem. Lose the (no)flowmasters. Install Walker Dynomax. Less noise, less droning, less backpressure.

i've got basically the same exhuast setup as you. try cherry bomb vortex mufflers.you can barely hear them inside and outside is quiet at idle and low speeds. im assuming you're not flyin through your trailer park

I would tell them eat sh*t and go **** yourself, but if you are trying to keep the peace try hooker areo chambers they're quiet at idle but they still have the balls sound when you take off, I don't know what flow masters you have but try some super 44's there a lower but deeper tone. Then there is option 3 romove the exhaust for a while and they will be begging you to put back the way it was. I opt for option 3 IMO

let me guess, flowmaster 40's?? my bro had one on his 4.3 s10 zr2 and you could hear it a mile awy

I have a similar setup, and the same problem. 3" pipes all the way out the back, with H-pipe, and Flowmaster Super 40s AND Magnaflow high flow cats and it's STILL TOO LOUD. Actually now with the cats on it sounds like sh*t 😳 because I've lost that "hollow" sound, but it's just too loud, I'm guessing because of the 555 cubic inch engine size.

I'm thinking of installing some electric valves prior to the mufflers to cut the exhaust flow in half, if it'll make the ride any quieter it'll work great. I'm talking about the kind in electric cutouts you can get off ebay, only without the cutouts (or have them blocked off).

This way I could hit a switch and the exhaust would close up half way -- for cruizing, and there *should* be less noise (I'm also worried about getting pulled over for excessive noise).

Does that sound like a good idea or would I incur problems... anyone?

Agree with the Dynomax and X pipe. I sneak out at 4 AM fishing so I need quiet too!

I guess this validates the old "if it's too loud -- you're too old" saying :lol: . Get younger neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor