Too loud. Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he wants to retain the louder deeper sound of 3" pipes and flowmasters, it's still possible to also make it quiet. Those electric exhaust valves are pretty cool and if you really feel like putting the extra weight and money into the car it is possible to install another standard/quiet muffler.

You could have a set up where you turn on a switch and the electric valves move your exhaust into the quiet muffler instead of the 3" flowmasters. It may look like a disaster under the chassis with all the extra pipes and muffler, but technically it will do what your asking. The end result would be that while your driving you flip a switch and the car suddenly becomes quiet.

pontiacgp said:
we use these in race cars if needed to keep the noise level within the rules of the track

http://www.streetperformance.com/part/d ... 32530.html

Never knew about those. I will definitely be getting a set of those. Thanks for the tip bro!!! 🙂

gto78 said:
If he wants to retain the louder deeper sound of 3" pipes and flowmasters, it's still possible to also make it quiet. Those electric exhaust valves are pretty cool and if you really feel like putting the extra weight and money into the car it is possible to install another standard/quiet muffler.

You could have a set up where you turn on a switch and the electric valves move your exhaust into the quiet muffler instead of the 3" flowmasters. It may look like a disaster under the chassis with all the extra pipes and muffler, but technically it will do what your asking. The end result would be that while your driving you flip a switch and the car suddenly becomes quiet.

Thanks for the info bro. It sounds like the better solution. Only if I truly wanted a loud exhaust I would cut it out to open pipes, it make's no sense to have cutouts into another set of mufflers. Ideally one stream goes through the "quiet" side which is muffled, and the "loud" side is open pipe. Also another problem is in Canada it's actually illegal to have any type of cutouts in the exhaust on a street driven car (just found that out recently).

I think I'll try those Dynatech Vortex Insert Cones and hopefully it reduces the sound. In the end if it's still too loud, I'll have to ditch the Flow Super 40s and replace them with Walker Quiet Flows. 🙁

If you're going to get some cutouts you could drill out portions of the butterfly and keep them closed in the neighborhood. That should keep your backpressure up and will make things quieter in the neighborhood. Once you get out, open the suckers up and drive. No need for an extra muffler or two, just run it inline and probably after the cat and before the muffler.It's the same idea as the exhaust choke system in the Corvettes and some other cars, they close up the system at low speeds because that's where the noise levels are tested. The GTO Humbler had cutouts too, obviously for "humbling" the other guys. They aren't cheap ($300 or so a set, new), but I think it's cool and eventually I want them on my car. Ask yourself if peace and harmony is worth that much to you.

Alternatively, run a quiet muffler and let the cutouts just dump. That'll be nice and loud for everyone!

Sorry for not checking this in a couple days.. I spent the evening last night rebuilding my Edelbrock 1406. That was an easy one. Yes, they are flowmaster 40's. The exhaust system was already on the car when I bought it. They had the whole system welded solid which is not what I would have done. Thats gonna make it a PITA if i decide to do the work myself. I do like the general tone the flowmasters produce but I am gonna have to do something about it eventually. Someone did apparently call the cops. I warm my car up for 10 mins before I leave for work in the mornings and when I left the other morning there was a cop sitting in the road waiting to follow me. This is just after 5am here. He followed me for a few blocks but never stopped me. I don't know if that is a good sign or not. But my landlord is still not happy. I was asked if I could "do something about that." I wanted to ask him if he was willing to pay for a new exhaust because IMHO, its not THAT damn loud, but I didn't go that far.

I'd personally see it as a good sign if he didn't pull you over. If he did it probably would've been because you were too loud.
Got video of the exhuast?

454muscle said:
I think I'll try those Dynatech Vortex Insert Cones and hopefully it reduces the sound. In the end if it's still too loud, I'll have to ditch the Flow Super 40s and replace them with Walker Quiet Flows. 🙁

if you do a little research on the cfm that your engine puts out you'll find that you could use chambered mufflers that would not cause any power loss. I have magnaflows and I find them too loud for my liking since it's my daily driver the summer so I'm going to get a set of these..

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/prod ... cts_id=584

My thoughts - Never piss off old people. They have plenty of time to think up ways to get even, and not a whole lot to lose.

- To those who have no respect for their neighbors - you'll be in the other position some day, maybe sooner than you'd think. Paybacks are hell.

azmalibuwagon said:
My thoughts - Never piss off old people. They have plenty of time to think up ways to get even,

Usually, more money too...

As decent as this exhaust system sounds it has a couple small leaks and is starting to rust anyway so I think I am just going to ride this one out until either the cops or my landlord tells me I HAVE to get this fixed. Then I can look at my wife and say "well now I have to either spend the money or start sharing your brand new minivan." Then stand back and watch her open the safe. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor