Too much brake pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I recently installed hydroboost on the monte and I am attempting to bleed the brakes so I can move it under it's own power safely. I installed new master cylinder, hydroboost unit, hydroboost brake pedal, new hardlines to the proportioning valve and new hardlines on the rear end along with new rear cylinders. I gravity bled all 4 corners seperately one night because I was alone. I got quite a few bubbles out of every bleeder as expected. I then bled them with my brother and got seemingly all of the remaining air out of the system. I opened each bleeder 5-6 times and by then I was getting all fluid - no air. My pedal has about 1-2" of play but the pedal will not go all the way down. I can pump up the brakes just fine and hold my foot on the pedal without it sinking at all but I can move the pedal the 1-2" without feeling anything. Is there some kind of adjustment I missed on the different hydroboost pedal? Any ideas? I want to drive it but im not willing to put myself, anyone else, or the car at risk.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
And yes I bled the hell out of the master cylinder before I installed it. I did however have to take off one of the lines going from the master to the proporting valve for a few seconds, not enough to drain the master.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Could it be the rod too short? If you release the rod from the pedal does it travel the 1-2" before contacting the piston?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
Could it be the rod too short? If you release the rod from the pedal does it travel the 1-2" before contacting the piston?
I will have to check today. This pedal came from the same vehicle (80 El Camino) as the hydroboost pump though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
seems like the rod length is a common problem but they do sell adjustable rods. . The ball and socket is apparently very difficult to separate.

045.jpg

046.jpg

048.jpg

073.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
So would mine be too short or too long? This is my first time messing around with this.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What about the proportioning valve? I have heard a few people talking about resetting them? I guess there is a button on it?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I had a problem with my setup a few months ago they may have been similar. I only had what felt like an inch or two before the pedal went rock hard. I had very little braking performance as well. The pedal height was also lower than the gas pedal.
I just had to unscrew the rod a little which brought the brake pedal out flush with the clutch pedal.
After that I didn't have any issues and a lot more brake pressure.
If I recall correctly, the tech guys at Hydratech said that for every full turn of the rod equals a 5/8" change in pedal height.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't follow. Are you saying the pedal's travel is too short? Do the brakes work properly? You can adjust pedal height as described, but the pedal travel is dependent on the master cylinder, caliper bores, and wheel cylinder bores. A large MC bore will reduce travel while increasing effort. With a hydroboost or vacuum assist you won't really notice the slight increase in effort. But a small MC bore will increase pedal travel while decreasing effort. You can even arrange a system that Grandma can lock up all 4 wheels without even power assist, but the pedal will be at the firewall!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
There is 1-2" of travel where the pedal feels like it's not doing anything. No force is needed to move it then all the sudden it gets stiff like normal. The pedal isn't too low or high enough to really notice anything is off. I started the car and with the rear end lifted I put it in gear. With the rear tires rolling they stop when I hit the pedal like they obviously should. But the pedal feels "bouncy" when it's running. It's hard to describe but it literally feels like the pedal bounces back without me even relieving the force on it. Could the bounciness be because the hydroboost isn't bled yet? I had a buddy try it and he thinks it feels great with the engine off but the 1-2" of dead travel concerns me. Maybe im just being paranoid....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor