Took Possession of my 86 GP LE on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDR89

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2020
Manassas, VA
Did a short highway ride then an in town night ride. Something weird, the right turn signal is a very slow blink and the light on the dash stays green. Never blinks. At night the dash light turn signal stays a faded green always. Could be a short in the rear light? maybe a relay? Very odd.

Does anyone know where I can get the rubber/felt window seal between the door frame and the window itself? It is almost completely gone so any rain goes directly in the door.

Can I have the power window regulators and the lock mechanism rebuilt? Or is there somewhere I can buy replacements? Have to unlock the driver side by the key and the passenger door does not unlock at all.

But other than that it is in great shape and straight. Just the rust on the roof from the landau roof of course.

Thanks
Pontiac home2.jpg

Pontiac home.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
When I've had a blinker not blink it's usually a burned bulb, a bad ground, or the flasher in the fuse box being bad. A digital flasher is the lazy fix that usually solves it if all the bulbs and grounds seem ok.

I got my replacement window felts off rock auto but any of the G body suppliers should stock them. 81-87 GP only.

Does the key not work on the door period? Is it loose like there is no resistance, does the key turn at all? The lock cylinder may be changed by a previous owner or the linkage connecting the lock to the latch may be stuck or missing. Nothing really to 'rebuild'.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would go to a bad light socket first. Could have a single filiment bulb shoved in there. Turn parking lights on to see if they all work and are the same brightness. Next, turn them of and put 4 ways on. Make sure all bulbs blink and the same brightness, then turn parking lights on and see what happens with 4 ways going.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would go to a bad light socket first. Could have a single filiment bulb shoved in there. Turn parking lights on to see if they all work and are the same brightness. Next, turn them of and put 4 ways on. Make sure all bulbs blink and the same brightness, then turn parking lights on and see what happens with 4 ways going.
I'll half agree with everything except the first suggestion. ALWAYS, go for the cheapest, easiest solution first. In this case, that's the bulb, not the socket. Odds are, that will fix it, otherwise, then move onto grounds and sockets.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I'll half agree with everything except the first suggestion. ALWAYS, go for the cheapest, easiest solution first. In this case, that's the bulb, not the socket. Odds are, that will fix it, otherwise, then move onto grounds and sockets.
My experience has been sockets and yeah i agree with you

RDR89

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2020
Manassas, VA
When I've had a blinker not blink it's usually a burned bulb, a bad ground, or the flasher in the fuse box being bad. A digital flasher is the lazy fix that usually solves it if all the bulbs and grounds seem ok.

I got my replacement window felts off rock auto but any of the G body suppliers should stock them. 81-87 GP only.

Does the key not work on the door period? Is it loose like there is no resistance, does the key turn at all? The lock cylinder may be changed by a previous owner or the linkage connecting the lock to the latch may be stuck or missing. Nothing really to 'rebuild'.

Thank you for the information.

As to the pass lock, the key will turn to the left with some resistance but will not turn to the right to unlock at all. The power lock switch on the pass side is loose on the dash side and firm on the other side so I suspect that the power switch itself is bad as well. Prob from someone pressing and pressing it to get it to unlock. It is raining like heck here in VA so I will spray some nano oil in there when the weather clears up.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Thank you for the information.

As to the pass lock, the key will turn to the left with some resistance but will not turn to the right to unlock at all. The power lock switch on the pass side is loose on the dash side and firm on the other side so I suspect that the power switch itself is bad as well. Prob from someone pressing and pressing it to get it to unlock. It is raining like heck here in VA so I will spray some nano oil in there when the weather clears up.
That is the systems way if telling you you have a turn signal bulb burned out. my bonne did the same thing and it went away after I changed the bulb and then I read it in the owners manual.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Everybody’s forgot that you asked about your windows also. You asked about the regulators. Are they actually bad or is it just slow windows? Cleaning out the regulators is the first step. 35 years of old grease and dirt build up cause a problem. Then if the motors are bad, new AC Delco motors are one reasonably priced part. If they are still slow, which is in common in our cars theres 2 options that I know of. Window Racer average price around $150.00 from our sponsors. The other Window Turbo comes from out of the country ( US) and harder to find. I just did all this to my Elco and the window works pretty nice. Not as quick as a new car but ALOT better than before. Another suggestion I’ve heard is to run a seperate ground from the window ground in the door through the door jamb rubber boot and ground it to the car body to give a more positive ground. I’ll actually be doing that to mine today. Now if you actually have regulator problems, they do sell new ones, but they are a bit costly. Hopefully you can do all this yourself, I’d hate to have to pay someone to do it.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Everybody’s forgot that you asked about your windows also. You asked about the regulators. Are they actually bad or is it just slow windows? Cleaning out the regulators is the first step. 35 years of old grease and dirt build up cause a problem. Then if the motors are bad, new AC Delco motors are one reasonably priced part. If they are still slow, which is in common in our cars theres 2 options that I know of. Window Racer average price around $150.00 from our sponsors. The other Window Turbo comes from out of the country ( US) and harder to find. I just did all this to my Elco and the window works pretty nice. Not as quick as a new car but ALOT better than before. Another suggestion I’ve heard is to run a seperate ground from the window ground in the door through the door jamb rubber boot and ground it to the car body to give a more positive ground. I’ll actually be doing that to mine today. Now if you actually have regulator problems, they do sell new ones, but they are a bit costly. Hopefully you can do all this yourself, I’d hate to have to pay someone to do it.
If you are doing this yourself, 1 suggestion when changing window felts. Take out the window stopper in the bottom center of the door. Just one bolt. It will allow the window to go below the window opening giving access to the felt screws. Just remember to put it back in LOL

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
So glad I have manual windows..lol

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor