HELP Tool suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Hey all!
Anyone know a decent tool-(kit) to install and remove the suspension bushings on a G-Body? I came across lots of them, but apparently none are specific for g-bodies and need "tweaks" in order to make it work :( any help here is appreciated!
I need to replace the upper control arm bushings on the axle.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Torch is the easiest way to get them out. Putting them back in a press works great but I made spacers to put in so you cant distort the arms when you press them in.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
If you don't want to torch them, drill out the rubber and pound out the outer shell.
Ball joint press might work for install. Free rental at some parts stores

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
You should start w/ a balljoint press and sleeves made from pieces from the plumbing section of the hardware may be a better fit.
Allthread or long bolt can be used w/ sleeves to make a remover / installer tool too. I've never had to torch them out.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Use a muffler chisel to collapse the bushing away from the holes in the control arm. When pressing in a new bushing, cut a pair of pieces of angle iron to fit between the ‘ears’ of the control arms and slip them around the bushing holes. Works front and rear. Drilling out the rubber like OldsJoe says above will also help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
For the upper bushings, I use an air chisel. Take the arm off and the air chisel pushes them right out. To put them in, a press is easiest. Not sure if you can do it with the G-body arms, but if you can get them started in the arm, try putting the nuts on and tighten them together to pull the bushings in. I just did this recently on a set of 70 Chevelle arms.

Reactions: 1 user

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
1603685783595.png

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hey all!
Anyone know a decent tool-(kit) to install and remove the suspension bushings on a G-Body? I came across lots of them, but apparently none are specific for g-bodies and need "tweaks" in order to make it work :( any help here is appreciated!
You have many good suggestions here.
When I did my rear control bushings, I got the upper arms off easy enough, but all of the hammering I was capable of was not enough to get the bushings out of the ears. I tried to punch out the inner sleeve so that I could push the rubber through. Couldn't do it. I tried an air chisel. Made matters worse. Finally bought a propane torch and burned them out. That solved the upper ear bushings. Hammered the new ones in carefully to get them in straight and flush. I purchased a hydraulic press from HF for less than my local machine shop wanted to charge for pressing the other 6 bushings, so I saved money, saved time going back and forth removing and replacing one arm at a time, plus I have a tool in the garage for a future project.
When using the hydraulic press, do as others here have suggested, cut a piece of angle iron to fit inside the stock arm (if you reuse the stock arms), and position it so that you do not crush the arm when pressing out the old, and pressing in the new bushings. When pressing out the old bushings, use a container (soft tear resistant best) to catch the bushing because it will pop out like a rifle shot.
Whether you decide to do them yourself, or buy aftermarket with bushings installed, I wish you the best.

Edit: went back and see that you are in Luxembourg, probably don't have Harbor Freight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Hey all!
Are they actually worn? It's worth inspecting to make sure it's necessary to replace them.

If they do need replacing, a torch or drilling the rubber helps remove the rubber portion & an air chisel (or hammer & hand chisel) to get the shell out. Finding a sleeve the same size helps when knocking them out as well.

There are a couple of places that sell a removal tool but they'll be pricy since it's a specific set-up to remove the housing bushings vs control-arm bushings. I know Detroit Speed sells a tool set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor