Top Dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.

tourdfox

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
What would be the top dollar a guy should pay for an 84 Culass S Brougham stock unmolested in good shape ? With 100,000 KM with most options . Just looking for a fair price . One has a 305. The other a 307. The asking prices are really far apart.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I'm not exactly the neighborhood price expert but 307's are worthless; 305 is considered more reliable but not more valuable. Only the 442 and Hurst Cutlasses are really worth the $10,000+ asking prices. A regular Cutlass in pristine condition still isn't worth much more than $5,000 and for it to be even passing the $7,500 mark every single solitary last detail had better be correct / #'s matching / garage kept 1 or 2 owners then; frame had better look grey/black and not brown. For a Cutlass S to be worth anywhere near 6 or 7 it would need to have cool or rare options such as the SSII rims / sunroof top/ digital clock inside/ console shifter/ sport steering wheel inside. I have the Brougham - I love my car but the Brougham is worthless w/ the vinyl top and not worth much more without it. I've seen someone sell a Cutlass for nearly $10,000 in pristine condition but not over that. The Brougham usually hovers closer to 5 in pristine condition and more typically under 5 even on its best day. Obviously don't pay top dollar for a car with metric trans. Even dealerships back in the day were already taking those out and doing the 200r4 so if one has the 3speed trans I think the decision becomes obvious. I actually prefer the console/bench seat personally idk why most dont ;but they book the Cutlass way lower w. bench/column so you can talk a person down if the car has bench/column pretty fast

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just remembered a guy on the Olds Facebook group was asking $25,000 for an 87 Salon. White, burgundy landau top, buckets/floor shift with 1,207 documented original miles. The comments were hilarious, watching him try to brush off the general consensus that no G-body Cutlass is worth that much(excluding the special ones), and that he needs to come down to 12,000 at the highest

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Yeah it would be funny if we made the '1 percenters club' so everyone who actually owns a $10,000 example of Cutlass could show some of these dorks out there why less than 1% of Cutlasses are even worth passing $10,000 mark. I wonder if the ammount is even .5% in my state where the recession hit kind of hard. Lots of Cutlasses came out of the woodwork when people's daily drivers went down around here and it was easy to see how fast a car can go from looking like $10,000 to looking like a thousand bucks in no time with just a few parking lot dust-ups and some surface rust it's over with fast.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
pencero said:
I'm not exactly the neighborhood price expert but 307's are worthless; 305 is considered

Both motors are inferior compared to today's technolgy but back in the day this was not true. Back in the day, the Olds 307 was the better motor (even the vin-y). The Olds 307 had more torque, better fuel economy, better reliability, and better technology. The Olds 307 even had roller lifters - probably splitting hairs but sice you called out the Olds motor, I had to point out a few details. Ha.

tourdfox

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
Well i'm quite surprised with the feedback. Sure glad i'm doing my homework and asking questions. Chances are i would have gotten taken for a ride just because i like these cars. I never knew that the landau rear vinyl roof was a negative. This forum has allready turned out to be very informative. Thanks guys

tourdfox

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
pencero said:
I'm not exactly the neighborhood price expert but 307's are worthless; 305 is considered more reliable but not more valuable. Only the 442 and Hurst Cutlasses are really worth the $10,000+ asking prices. A regular Cutlass in pristine condition still isn't worth much more than $5,000 and for it to be even passing the $7,500 mark every single solitary last detail had better be correct / #'s matching / garage kept 1 or 2 owners then; frame had better look grey/black and not brown. For a Cutlass S to be worth anywhere near 6 or 7 it would need to have cool or rare options such as the SSII rims / sunroof top/ digital clock inside/ console shifter/ sport steering wheel inside. I have the Brougham - I love my car but the Brougham is worthless w/ the vinyl top and not worth much more without it. I've seen someone sell a Cutlass for nearly $10,000 in pristine condition but not over that. The Brougham usually hovers closer to 5 in pristine condition and more typically under 5 even on its best day. Obviously don't pay top dollar for a car with metric trans. Even dealerships back in the day were already taking those out and doing the 200r4 so if one has the 3speed trans I think the decision becomes obvious. I actually prefer the console/bench seat personally idk why most dont ;but they book the Cutlass way lower w. bench/column so you can talk a person down if the car has bench/column pretty fast

The one has 4 speed auto THM 200 conv clutch. RPO MW9

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The market for G-bodies has never been great (excluding the turbo's) and the market is in the crapper. Had my GP for sale for $4500.00 and not a bite.

Attachments

• IMG_4747.JPG
    IMG_4747.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 642
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor