Top Half of Radiator hot, Bottom Half Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You spent all your money on the Burban?
No, but it's not running and I cant have anything go awry with my current car. It's not life threatening now, so I can skirt by for a little bit.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Finally got some free time, went to harbor freight and bought some stuff, one of them was a temp gun.
After running around, got home and measured the temps of various things in the cooling system.

gauge was reading about 210ish, it goes from 195 to 230 so it's not terrible accurate, it was in the middle so I'm gonna say about 210. It's got a 195 thermostat.
Top rad hose was 150*, bottom was 130*, bypass was 170*, top half of radiator was 150* and bottom of it was 130*. Highest temp I recorded was the thermostat housing itself, it was 192*.

So.... I think my gauge is bad. Again. f*cking equus. What say you guys?

I chose to go back to this thread instead of starting a new one because... y'know.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
from your first post...."the lower hose is near room temp, top hose is almost too hot to touch"...." the lower hose is near room temp, top hose is almost too hot to touch"

your post on page 4...."There is such a large difference in the temp of the bottom of the rad and the lower hose and the top of the rad and the top hose"

now that you have a temp gun the top is 150 and bottom is 130 so that is "slightly" different than your other post....

not pointing it out to pick on you, just trying to suggest don't jump off the deep end until you can properly check it out. It'll be easier on your nerves......;)

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
from your first post...."the lower hose is near room temp, top hose is almost too hot to touch"...." the lower hose is near room temp, top hose is almost too hot to touch"

your post on page 4...."There is such a large difference in the temp of the bottom of the rad and the lower hose and the top of the rad and the top hose"

now that you have a temp gun the top is 150 and bottom is 130 so that is "slightly" different than your other post....

not pointing it out to pick on you, just trying to suggest don't jump off the deep end until you can properly check it out. It'll be easier on your nerves......;)
That was true at that time. it might have been the cooler ambient temps that caused it to go down in temp, for lack of a better phrase, while still being at operating temp. It still needs a radiator anyway. And probably a fan clutch, a better fan, new thermostat, rererereseal the thermostat housing (dont have to, but replacing the thermostat necessitates that), etc.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My Sunpro gauge reads 10 degrees high which is great when you have had overheating issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor