Top of the dash is starting to crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

montecarlolady

Apprentice
May 25, 2019
Top of the dash on my 1987 Monte Carlo ss is starting to crack.It's around the speaker and in the middle areas.I know it's 32 years old and it happens.My neighbor Wayne came over,he does interior work and looked at it yesterday.Told me that piece is replaceable,going to have him do it.He can get that part ordered.This true?

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
Currently, can he order just the top? That is a no, he would have to replace the entire padded portion. On some cars that is possible just not on the Monte Carlo dash.

The padded portion of the dash is a complete unit, there are various ways to fill the cracks and blend it back together, Just Dashes is a company that strips your original dash, replaces the foam and then adds new vinyl to the dash to make it like new again(they do a great job but aren't cheap and it takes time) You can also add a dash cover which has its own set of pros and cons and then there are replacement dashes available through a few different companies.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Isn't there still a full dash cap available? I recall seeing them for sale. There was also a half cap, if you will, which was a total piece of garbage.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know a few guys that used the (full) dash cap on their El Caminos and it looked great. As long as the existing dash is not totally ragged out, the cap is not a bad alternative. Sure is cheaper than buying a whole new dash. If money is no object, go for it.

Reactions: 1 user

montecarlolady

Apprentice
May 25, 2019
Going to be replaced after I come back from Tennessee visiting family down there and going to a couple tourist places.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Wayne mentioned the whole dash,$749.99 from OPGI.This is what I'm choosing

Good luck with that. Been in the catalog for several years but to my knowledge still not available

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
shows it online

For several years, yes.

Currently says " Arriving Soon Estimated to arrive the week of 09/11/2019"

MANY dates have been posted, come, and gone. They have rejected at least 4 protypes/samples

I need one too, just not holding my breath on a delivery date yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor