Top post and side post batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
So I typically always buy a battery that has both top post and side post terminals.

Question, can you hook up to both terminals at the same time?

For instance, I have my 1/0 gauge power wire, 4ga stereo amp wire and 8ga electric fan wire coming off the top post of the battery. I am running a 4 ga positive wire from the alternator to the battery. Can I hook that to the positive side post terminal? Or will that only screw something up on the battery?

I bought just bought a replacement 4ga starter wire for a 307 Cutlass that already has the side post terminal on the end. I was going to cut the other end off and trim it to the length I need and then just connect that to my alternator. Cheaper and easier than find 4ga power wire around here.

Thanks,

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's one of the advantages of having both styles on one battery, you can run your 1/0 battery cables on the top post and use the side posts for all the accessory wires to give it a cleaner look exspecially if the battery is still in the engine compartment.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Thanks guys. I figured it would be okay but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

565bbchevy, my battery is still in the engine compartment. I've considered relocating it to the truck but as this point that's just extra work that I don't want to deal with.
But your right, one of the reasons I wanted to use the side mount posts was for the accessories. I'm trying to double things up as much as I can but I'm still running out of distribution points and keeping it all looking neat and tidy.

BTW, in case no one has seen. Advance Auto Parts has a 20% off sale right now and if you spend more than $100 you get a $50 off coupon for your next purchase of $100 or more. When I went to pick up my battery the guy said they've had a ton of battery orders over the internet today. I'm guessing it's likely because of the sale. lol

That $50 coupon will come in handy when I go to buy my AC compressor.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I went to the bone yard and got a junction block off a 90's Cadillac, I have all my Cooling fans and relays powered off it. I ran a fusible link from the battery to power it in case I have a fan motor problem.It only cost me a couple of bucks.

Attachments

• img_2996_med.jpg
    img_2996_med.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 611
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor