Torque arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I contemplated using some f body parts to build one for mine and mount the front to the trans crossmember. In the end, I was going to have to cut the floor up pretty good no matter how long (or short) the arm ended up being, and there was going to be a packaging constraint with one of the mufflers - whichever side the arm ended up being on. If you don’t mind either of those, it’s a cool project.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Without removing the upper arms you’ll be triangulating the rear suspension and restricting movement. Without upper arms you’ll need a track bar. Just like the F-body and GNX. In all, a better setup. These are things I’m sure that you already know.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
What 500/600 says, but instead of a single Panhard-style trackbar I'd go the Watts-linkage route.

Watt%27s_Linkage_Rear_Suspension.gif

This way the axle keeps centered through the whole suspension cycle instead of getting pushed side to while moving up and down through the cycle.

Reactions: 4 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
IMG_6821.jpg

Ya for sure, the upper arms come off and add a panhard or watts. For an offroad machine seeing alot of suspension travel, it's a valid reason for a watts. For the few inches of travel this car will see. I'm not concerned with the axle running in a tiny arc with a panhard. If it's parallel to the ground, it will be good enough for a street car.

An aftermarket solution for a fox Mustang runs the torque arm below the pinion/driveshaft. No floor modification will be required.

I just don't lilke the idea of an arm or 2 arms on an angle trying to support and axle housing side to side.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
with all the aftermarket support out there for these cars why go through that work?we've been dealt a full frame why not utilize it instead of fitting a unitized suspension design to it?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
View attachment 142115

Ya for sure, the upper arms come off and add a panhard or watts. For an offroad machine seeing alot of suspension travel, it's a valid reason for a watts. For the few inches of travel this car will see. I'm not concerned with the axle running in a tiny arc with a panhard. If it's parallel to the ground, it will be good enough for a street car.

An aftermarket solution for a fox Mustang runs the torque arm below the pinion/driveshaft. No floor modification will be required.

I just don't lilke the idea of an arm or 2 arms on an angle trying to support and axle housing side to side.
Me neither. That’s why I went with a fays2.
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I'd like to see a picture with the exhaust running through there.
I have always thought that the fays link would really contribute to a better handling G Body.
Guy
I haven’t solidified exhaust yet, but I’ll either be going under axle or side exit in front of the rear tire a la Mustang cobra.

2 1/2” Would probably make it ok but 3” might be a little sketchy if you don’t want anything to touch ever.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor