Torque Converter Shopping...Yay !

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
These look more like carb issues than tq converter issues to me.
With the dieseling issues, it sounds like carb issues to me too.

I have to ask, what carb are you running, and are you running ported vacuum or vacuum from under the throttle blades?

Reason I ask is I was running ported vacuum and 93 octane gas, switched to ethanol free 90 octane and my engine dieseled terribly. Running 18 degrees initial timing with ported vacuum was likely keeping the combustion chambers too hot, causing the 90 octane to detonate where the 93 didn’t.
Switched to manifold vacuum and my timing came up to around 22 degrees initial (my junk summit balancer has it’s timing marks rusted off) and the dieseling problem went away- even with a 1k rpm idle.

Reactions: 1 user

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
With the dieseling issues, it sounds like carb issues to me too.

I have to ask, what carb are you running, and are you running ported vacuum or vacuum from under the throttle blades?

Reason I ask is I was running ported vacuum and 93 octane gas, switched to ethanol free 90 octane and my engine dieseled terribly. Running 18 degrees initial timing with ported vacuum was likely keeping the combustion chambers too hot, causing the 90 octane to detonate where the 93 didn’t.
Switched to manifold vacuum and my timing came up to around 22 degrees initial (my junk summit balancer has it’s timing marks rusted off) and the dieseling problem went away- even with a 1k rpm idle.
If I remember correctly they put a 500cfm edelbrock carb on it instead of spending about the same and getting a good quadrajet designed for his engine because he didn't want to listen to anyone on the forum telling him the carb was a bad choice.

He might be able to calibrate the carb in, with new jets or whatever edelbrock uses, but I bet that 500cfm carb is setup for a v6 out of the box, and that's causing his issues.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
If I remember correctly they put a 500cfm edelbrock carb on it instead of spending about the same and getting a good quadrajet designed for his engine because he didn't want to listen to anyone on the forum telling him the carb was a bad choice.

He might be able to calibrate the carb in, with new jets or whatever edelbrock uses, but I bet that 500cfm carb is setup for a v6 out of the box, and that's causing his issues.
The main issue I read there is Edelbrock, but that’s another can of worms.

500 cfm is about right for a street driven engine if you’re going by Summit’s calculator, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt of using a similar calculator and that the engine just isn’t tuned right, rather than continuing to bash him for decisions already made.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Pump difference.

Lockup.jpg

Non Lock UP.jpg

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
At this point in the game my advice would be to cut your losses. Get rid of the Monte , go buy a used Honda Accord and find a new hobby that fits your skill level and budget.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The l69305 had different heads and different camshaft from the other 305s... The factory and gear carb idle is 650 for the l69

From Park to drive RPM drop should only be 200... If the in gear is 650 then my curb idle is supposed to be 850.

It runs better at a thousand RPMs in park because I'm at 650 and drive... And anything higher than that, it diesels.

It just sounds like I have my foot on the pedal when it's in park...

L69s and LG4s use the same heads stock. Main internal differences are the cams and compression ratios.

LG4 curb idle speed is 500 rpm in D, 650 with the idle kicker activated, and fast idle of 2,200 rpm. L69s have a 600 rpm curb idle in D, the other idle speeds are identical to LG4s.
But with all the bizarre modifications on your engine all the factory specs go out the window. I don't know if Eddy carbs have idle air bypass to allow better idle quality like the factory Qjets have.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Ok the outfit know as outo sone has torque converters as low as 99 ect I think they are daco .some here have mentioned your manifold causeing symptoms I concure with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor