Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
So I took the Six Liter Slug, our 2011 GMC 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 for a drive, not towing. It had an empty skid tank and two 205L of 15W40 and Trans Hydraulic Fluid. Supposedly it weighs nearly 6400 pounds empty. It is rated at 360 hp and 380 ft/lbs. It has the 6L 6spd auto. Climbing the valley, 3500 rpm, even empty on the way back or forget climbing the valley hill above 80 km/hr. It gets feed only 91 octane non ethanol Premium. My 4100 pound Dodge Challenger with a measly 268 ft/lbs of torque rarely needs to go above 2500 rpm to climb the same valley hills. Mostly 87 octane 10% ethanol Regular. I wonder if my boss will let me put those graphics on the truck?
So the stock trans shifting and fuel/ignition tuning sucks....

I think that was mentioned earlier. Lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So the stock trans shifting and fuel/ignition tuning sucks....

I think that was mentioned earlier. Lol
I did, wish we still had the Duramax. Our company could have paid a few grand extra and got a 6.2L brand new 3/4 ton for not a lot more, the used market being ridiculous and getting a fleet discount. You can call up my company, tell them I am a danger driving this thing, it puts me to sleep. I guarantee a new 2021 6.2L 10 speed would have put a smile on my face. The Six Liter Slug strikes again, it just takes a while to get there😉.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
As much as the "ls-fanboys" try to claim otherwise maybe what the takeaway needs to be is that the truck 6.sl0 is OK if you use your truck as a grocery getter / people mover...

I've read and personally heard complaints other than Olds 307 403's about the 6.0 being gutless slugs over the years but I wonder if some of those dissatisfied with the 6.0, had tucks equipped with Axle ratios of 3.73s instead of 4.10s? I have 4.10s in my 1/2 ton with a L33 5.3 and if I had 3.73s or taller I might not be as satisfied with the truck despite the tune & shift kit. Why not just get a 4.8 or 5.3 if it's just a people mover? Heck if you live on the plains and had a 2wd 4.8 with 3.23s you'd probably get 20 MPG on the highway (would NOT want to haul much more than a couch in it though).

These guys do a good job of showing how trucks tow up down the IKE Gauntlet
(this vid shows the '17 2500 with 6.0 maxed out towing) if a truck can work well here it'll work pretty much anywhere. I drove a 2010 Sierra Denali 2wd unloaded with the 6.2 up I70 through the Eisenhower tunnel at 80mph effortlessly! Of all the vehicles I've ever driven up there nothing made up that pass with such little effort. The Gen V 6.2 is obviously a different animal than the old L92 but it's probably the way to go in towing rig without paying up for a Duramax (if you want a GM of course).

I'm not an LSswap the world fan boy but with trucks I'm a big fan of the LS/Vortec particularly those without DOD/AFM because it's such a reliable and simple to repair engine (for a fairly modern engine) with respectable power and fuel economy.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
These guys do a good job of showing how trucks tow up down the IKE Gauntlet
(this vid shows the '17 2500 with 6.0 maxed out towing) if a truck can work well here it'll work pretty much anywhere.
From what I gather, and olds307 and 403 or another can correct me, the older than 2014 motors are the particularly gutless wonders, and after 2014 they became more.capable - direct injection? That truck being a 2017 is somewhat exception to the rule?

I've read and personally heard complaints other than Olds 307 403's about the 6.0 being gutless slugs over the years but I wonder if some of those dissatisfied with the 6.0, had tucks equipped with Axle ratios of 3.73s instead of 4.10s?
Could be... but then again, I think part of the point is if you equip the comparison vehicle with the 8.1/duramax with the 4.10s vs 3.73s you get the same widened gap in performance/capability. Begs the question if you need the 4.10s to unlock performance and not be a gutless pig why would gm offer the 3.73? They've limited ratio choices in other cases, fuel mileage be darned, just to ensure the desired performance range.

My 1951 3600 series came with a 5.13 gearing stock, and, the tall set of gears was 4.57... now that's some serious grunt for a 3/4 ton truck. Maybe need to get back to that.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
From what I gather, and olds307 and 403 or another can correct me, the older than 2014 motors are the particularly gutless wonders, and after 2014 they became more.capable - direct injection? That truck being a 2017 is somewhat exception to the rule?
Gutless wonders? I don’t think so. My brother‘s 2004 Silverado 2500 4x4 with over 200K on the clock was no slouch. It had the 6.0L with a black bear tune. He used it to pull a fifth wheel that was 500 pounds over the truck’s rated towing capacity. The truck had plenty of low and grunt for the hills on US31. I can’t say for sure what gear ratio it had but I think it had 3.73’s. It also did very well in the sand dunes at Silver Lake. In fact it climbed test hill better than any stock Ford or Dodge 3/4 ton up there. If you’re not familiar with Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan do a search on YouTube. I think I might have some video. If I can find it I will post it. He has since purchased the largest fifth wheel known to man 😎 and upgraded to a new Denali diesel.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just going to point out another apples to oranges comparison and leave it there for now... (also, ignore driver skill, tire/driveline effects, etc)

My brother‘s 2004 Silverado 2500 4x4 .... had the 6.0L with a black bear tune.
(Emphasis added)
In fact it climbed test hill better than any stock Ford or Dodge 3/4 ton up there.
(Emphasis added)
If you’re not familiar with Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan do a search on YouTube. I think I might have some video. If I can find it I will post it.
Not withstanding prior comments, flogging off road is always fun to watch.
He has since purchased the largest fifth wheel known to man 😎 and upgraded to a new Denali diesel.
I, too, would dump the 6.0 for a duramax :LOL:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I looked at the work truck to figure out the ratio, 3.73. All the 5.3L trucks I drove were a 3.73 ratio. How many of you have drove Olds powered and LS powered trucks? I have drove multiple examples of both.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I looked at the work truck to figure out the ratio, 3.73. All the 5.3L trucks I drove were a 3.73 ratio. How many of you have drove Olds powered and LS powered trucks? I have drove multiple examples of both.
I have a 79 silverado. Born as an Olds diesel, well optioned with the 12 bolt but only 2wd. The diesel became a 403. Then, owing to its dual pattern transmission case it became a dz 302 using a Nov 1968 cast block, 3932386, which it remains. Currently it's extremely rusty and vandalized (someone stole the pristine interior) so it's sitting now in a warehouse (where it really should've been all along but that's another story) while it's fate gets decided... keep the firewall, title, and powertrain? Not sure.

For ls trucks we had enterprise rentals for times we didn't want to thrash our personal trucks with excess abuse (yay damage waiver).... they disappointed.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Again apples and oranges!!
Both similar weight trucks, same transmission and rear end ratio. My truck had taller tires, so actually a gear ratio disadvantage. Is a 8.5 to 1 Olds 350 with STOCK 5A 307 heads, a 204/214 cam, shorty headers with 2.25" with not a fair comparison? Both with factory awful tunes, the TBI sbc swirl is terrible, designed for a 180 hp 350, GM overrated that one too. The Olds was a 40 year old STOCK 76 bottom end, STOCK 35 year old 5A heads. Think about how much power that combination made, not much at all. Cam, about the same lift, the Olds had a 15 degree duration advantage in the cam. Not degreed, shoved in straight up. Pretty sure a 295 hp/335 ft/lbs motor should have destroyed it from top to bottom, it sure didn't even with the stock 500 cfm TBI, above 4000 rpm, yes, until the 670 TBI went on. Apples to Apples, period. Round and round we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor