Torque Thrust size for rear 80 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Carabio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2019
Hello,
I'm thinking of putting a pair of 17"x8" 4" BS -12mm offset Torque Thrust IIs on the back of my 80 El Camino. I picked up a couple of 17"x7" Torque Thrust II rims with a 4" BS and 0mm offset that are mounted with 245 45 17 tires and they fit perfect for the front. I have 2" dropped spindles also and the combo clears just fine. Sure, I could put the same size rim on the back and be able to rotate them but was thinking that later I might think...Why didn't I put a wider rim in the back? I have another pair of the same size tires, 245 45 17, as the front size that I was thinking of putting on the 17x8 rim and maybe later going with a 255 45 17. I don't think I want a 9.5 wide wheel since it only comes with a minimum backspacing of 5.56" which might be too much for the Elky. As a side note, I had a pair of the factory OEM 16" IROCs previously on the car that needed a 1-1/4" spacer/adapter in order for the rim/tire combo to clear the frame. When I put the TTII 17x7 wheel/tire combo on the back; it does move the tire outward nicely with the spacer/adapter. I have about 2" clearance from the tire/rim combo to the frame both in front and behind the tire. The tire is about 1/2" away from the rear fender lip, which isn't rolled since it doesn't rub. If I remove the spacer/adapter then I have about 1" clearance from the tire/rim combo from the frame front and rear and about 1-3/4" from the rear fender lip. Attached are a couple of pics of what the 17x7 wheel and 245 45 17 tires look like with the 1-1/4" spacer adapter on the back and a second pic with the spacer adapter removed. Actually, the tire/rim combo doesn't look too bad without the spacer. I think with the 17x8 and the 4" backspacing, plus the -12mm offset, the distance from the tire/wheel to the frame would be about 1/2" and the extra 1" width would leave about 1" gap from the rear fender lip. The 17x8 could run the extra pair of tires I have but I could probably run a 255 on it also. However, having the same size rim/tire combo at all four corners would let me rotate the tires to any corner. My calulations could be off a little. I'm going off the Summit Racing website for the rim dimensions. Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    916.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1740.JPG
    IMG_1740.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

Mallory

Apprentice
Apr 21, 2016
I run 17x8 American Racing Hopster with 255/45/17 on the rear of my wagon. No spacers. Fits perfect. I run 17x7 with 245/45/17 out front.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 331
Reactions: 1 users

Art Carabio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2019
I ended up ordering a pair of 17 x 8 Torque Thrusts with a 4" BS. They fit really nice in the Elky wheel opening. I had the 245/45/17 tires already and they look good on the car. Having the 8" wheel in the back and the 7" wheel in the front makes the wheels looked staggered due to the depth difference in both wheels which is apparent when looked at. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    959.7 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 440
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor