Torsen or Eaton in a 7.5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
OK OK flame on. I know I should not dump any money in my worn out Auburn 7.5 rear. It's a little sketchy now as sometimes both wheels hook, sometimes it's a single wheel. Makes a difference in the way you expect it to react around say a "wet"corner where traction may be an issue ..... however. I may take a trip or two down the strip, once every 4 - 5 years or so on stock tires just for giggles. 8.5 prices have ballooned out of control the last few years. What If I could dump $1k or less into the 7.5 rear I already own and at least make 11's again ??

Looking to upgrade to 28 spline axles, and kovid \ keyboard shopping either Zexel - Torsen centre section or Eaton Tru Trac into the old heap if I get time this summer. ( that or fix the AC ... again )

Car is and will remain sbc, pushing > 400 hp ( unless my friend gives up his aluminum headed 383 then I will upgrade to a little more torque ). Car is 99.9% street driven. Its been built to cut ( not run ) 11's , make smoke with a thumping stereo. NOT A RACECAR. I have no-hop bars & better brakes.

Leaning towards the torsen, any thoughts from my brothers and sisters ??

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Why the Trutrac, and why spend $1000 for either the Torsen or Eaton.

$140 : http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=274339957039
$260 Moser Axles
$100 bearing kit
========
$500 for better than new.

Here's my factory 3 series Torsen story. Bought it off ebay for my son, so no idea how many miles. That car rolled 3 times in a barrel roll like calamity. Bent the axle tubes so badly that I had to pound out the axles with an 8lb sledge hammer. Pulled the Torsen and put it in the G-body (blue Cutty in my sig) for 2 years. Car made 450 wheel all the time and 500+ most of the time. Pulled the entire axle with the Torsen out as the spare when he spit the bit for the 8.5.

And here it is now temporarily in Monte Alban

Again, why with the TrueTrac unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I have done the same with Two Gbody builds. I got both of the torsons out of late modes firebirds and camaro. Up graded to the 28 spline axels and then a bolt on cover to strengthen the caps. Both on DR and 383s just for some street and mostly bracket racing. Both could only run 12s for the street class. No problems. Just check for the series carrier for the gear set upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor