MALIBU Towing capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
A brake upgrade would be top of my list.

This is no joke..

Its not like Pulling it is difficult, if you think about it..

Stopping the combined weight is the big problem.

-Gonz

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This is no joke..

-Gonz

Upgrading the front brakes only gets you so far when the tongue weight lifts the nose of the tow rig.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
lilbowtie said:
I would be more concerned with having the proper towing equipment.
In my country, all trailers above 1600lbs have brakes on them, so that isn't a problem

I hope more than just serge brakes, the proper hitch for the weight, equalizer bars, and sway control.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I doubt that cool little camper weighs more than a bass boat. I'd still put Blazer brakes and the bigger wheel cylinders out back; it made a huge difference on my sedan.

Reactions: 2 users

RickMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2020
Netherlands
This is no joke..

-Gonz

In my country, all trailers above 1600lbs have brakes on them, so that isn't a problem

I hope more than just serge brakes, the proper hitch for the weight, equalizer bars, and sway control.

The brakes are really good on the trailers here, u barely notice a trailer when ur braking, the brakes on them are good enough to carry their own weight even fully loaded.
My old car was around 2750lbs, and was alloud to tow 3600lbs, I even had 5000lbs behind it once, lack off power (1.8 4 cilinder 122hp) but braking wasnt a problem even with that much weight for that specific car.
So "if" I would be towing that much weight with the Malibu I'm not really worried about the braking, with the equipment on trailers here you're fine.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The brakes are really good on the trailers here, u barely notice a trailer when ur braking, the brakes on them are good enough to carry their own weight even fully loaded.
My old car was around 2750lbs, and was alloud to tow 3600lbs, I even had 5000lbs behind it once, lack off power (1.8 4 cilinder 122hp) but braking wasnt a problem even with that much weight for that specific car.
So "if" I would be towing that much weight with the Malibu I'm not really worried about the braking, with the equipment on trailers here you're fine.

You've got me curious now, what kind of trailer braking setup do you have on that side of the pond?

RickMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2020
Netherlands
You've got me curious now, what kind of trailer braking setup do you have on that side of the pond?
Brakes over here are mechanical, when the car brakes the trailer feels it in hitch, an the brakes start to work. The harder you brake the harder the brakes wil do the job.
As soon as you start to accelerate the brakes loosen themselves

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Rental trailers in the US have that kind of ‘surge’ brakes, with a master cylinder built into the tongue. When it presses on the decelerating car, it acts like a brake pedal and applies a proportional amount of hydraulic braking to the trailer wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor