TPI, T5, 3.42 swapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Here is my wagon with T5 and 4.10's.

We used a street tire of 255/45/17 if i remember correctly to keep the revs in a reasonable range. Highway was about 2200rpm at 65ish. The car had maybe 250hp. I used to say it went from Zero to Slow faster than anything else i ever drove. About the best combo you can ask for on the street. It was not fast, but it had maximum smiles per gallon.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
On the subject of stops. This is a photo of the shift block and the "gates" in a T5. You can see the round divets are for the bearing which goes on the bottom of the shift block. They provide the positive "detent" feel we expect from the transmission. They also help with the gate selection. On the shift block that little ear is the stop. It hits the end of the gate and physically prevents the shifter from moving.

There is no difference between F body and mustang "gate" block. You can put a mustang tail housing on an F body T5 and vice versa. The shift block itself is different as is the shifter. The way a short throw shifter is created is by moving the pivot point of the shifter and thereby changing the length of the stub that engages the shift block. I don't have any extra mustang shifters so I can show the difference between the two. On a side note, S10 and F body will interchange but as everyone knows the f body is canted to the side

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_183512826.jpg
    IMG_20181011_183512826.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20181011_183424685.jpg
    IMG_20181011_183424685.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 157

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
On the subject of stops. This is a photo of the shift block and the "gates" in a T5. You can see the round divets are for the bearing which goes on the bottom of the shift block. They provide the positive "detent" feel we expect from the transmission. They also help with the gate selection. On the shift block that little ear is the stop. It hits the end of the gate and physically prevents the shifter from moving.

you can argue as much as you want but I am speaking from personal experience and I am not the only one who has had issues with the stock shifter. If you are happy with the stock shifter that's fine and I have only suggested to others to install an aftermarket shifter to others based on my experience and from I have read about the stock shifters. If they choose to use the stock shifter I don't carry on with explanations as to why I think their choice is wrong. But for you I'll just post a link to one forum for your reading pleasure

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/t5-transmission-overshifting.952062/

and if you are curious how those channels are not stops is that there is a spring that forces down on the ball that rides in those channels. The force of the spring on the ball is no match for the force of a persons arm when shifting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
you can argue as much as you want but I am speaking from personal experience and I am not the only one who has had issues with the stock shifter. If you are happy with the stock shifter that's fine and I have only suggested to others to install an aftermarket shifter to others based on my experience and from I have read about the stock shifters. If they choose to use the stock shifter I don't carry on with explanations as to why I think their choice is wrong. But for you I'll just post a link to one forum for your reading pleasure

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/t5-transmission-overshifting.952062/

and if you are curious how those channels are not stops is that there is a spring that forces down on the ball that rides in those channels. The force of the spring on the ball is no match for the force of a persons arm when shifting.

I don't dispute aftermarket shifters are better. I simply say there is no need for additional stops.

The ball is not a stop. The metal tab on the bottom of the shift block is the stop. The ball provides the "detent" feel of the shifter

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't dispute aftermarket shifters are better. I simply say there is no need for additional stops.

The ball is not a stop. The metal tab on the bottom of the shift block is the stop. The ball provides the "detent" feel of the shifter

Well I suggest you start going to all the forums where people complain about the stock shifter on a T5 that they are wrong. Maybe you will have better results in trying to convince them than you did with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor