transmission question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGCUTTY_SALON86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
I have a 200-4r transmission everything is in great working order but one problem when i mash the gas its super sluggish. No chirp or anything and i have a built 350 olds under the hood so im like this at the moment :blam: because i have not the slightest clue what to do the fluid level is great i rechecked the tv cables kickdown cable and all is hooked up perfectly if anybody in our wonderful and growing community has had the same issue and has resolved please let me know what i can do to get my 86 saloon sideways sometimes when i pull off from a red light. Thanks again you guys are my lifeline....

KINGCUTTY_SALON86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
i have a holley 770 carb on it do i have to have it adjusted or what suggestion do you have for a inquiring mind...im ready to learn as much as i can

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that carburetor is kinda big for a 350. It could be dumping fuel and causing the car to bog. Best thing to do is pick up a book on the holly carburetor and read about the adjustments you can do on that carburator

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I agree, your carb is too big. Put a 600 or 650 cfm carb on it. That 770 cfm carb is for a large cubic inch big block engine, such as a 455 or 460. It's putting in too much fuel and making the engine bog on take off. If you're a beginner, take a look at the edelbrock 1405 and 1406 carbs, they're great carbs and are super simple to tune. Holley's are ok too but are harder to tune IMO. I have a 650 Holley quadrajet replacement on my olds 350; it's ok.

KINGCUTTY_SALON86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
without buying a new carb is there a way to cut it back or anything like that because that $500 i spent lord knows i dont want to see it as a total waste of cash because i have a few upgrades on my 350 like my heads pistons intake.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
There are alot of adjustments you can do. Ive ran a 750 on my bone stock 350. Just need some adjusting. Idle mixture etc. also whats the timing at? You can change the timing to help the burn.

KINGCUTTY_SALON86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
good question i will have to take the pulleys off to put on a new timing plate because i forgot to put it back on when i put my pulleys on while i had it on the ground dag this car and engine is working my nerves because i want to drive it so bad to put these chevy boys to shame. Three years and 2 kids(Project Car Killers) im still scooting around in the ole rice mobile....One day my Cutlass will rise from the ashes from the condition i first gt it from to a glorious street killer(Eventually). Every time i make a few steps forward something knocks me 20 steps back

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
mixture screws affect idle only, you can't lean a carb down by simply turning the idle screws. He may get it running more smoothly by doing that, but that's about it. He can swap power valves though. I do agree that he could likely advance the timing a little. The only thing that's gonna help your car off the line without that bog is a smaller or recalibrated carb or better gears in the rear end. Is there any way you can send the carb back and get something more practical?

KINGCUTTY_SALON86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
its a year old i just recently pulled it out the box in December no way i can send it back i was hoping to use it on multiple engines because next year i want to swap in a 376 lsx. im going to put it in storage and see if any of my friends have a carb i can borrow for a while until i can figure out the workings of the 770 and how to get it to work with my 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor