Trans crossmember help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don’t overthink this. Make something and move on unless you’re after a factory original setup.

p.s. if you seen my crossmember that holds darn near 1000hp, then you’d understand. It’s made from some extra 1.5x1.5 square tube that I had laying around. Meaning - anything will work that allow for correct install height.

Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Don’t overthink this. Make something and move on unless you’re after a factory original setup.

p.s. if you seen my crossmember that holds darn near 1000hp, then you’d understand. It’s made from some extra 1.5x1.5 square tube that I had laying around. Meaning - anything will work that allow for correct install height.
I'm not haha, I just do not have experience with this style. Squarebody is about all i know as for transmission stuff & the factory original is correct. It's my personal car.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My old 78 Monte might have had them and I think that the ones that I got with a spare crossmember that I had pulled out for it at the yard are still around the shop somewhere. +1 on the mounting bolts being metric and the nuts that they were fitted with were metric as well. Seem to recall them being either 14 or15mm and they may have been the start for my collection of metric tools.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If the metri-fried cr*p is being a pita, then you can swap them out for 7/16 WMN, aka "Western Made Normal". in either coarse or fine thread. Go no softer than Grade 5 if you do elect to go that route. The tabs and flanges, on inspection, if you do drop the 'member, may show hole oversizing due to rust and going with the nearest bolt size that is physically larger could help put you back in business. The frame flange/bench that supports the crossmember is a water and crud trap (salt and brine if you live in a Northern State) and can hide damage under layers of overburden flung up from the road.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Also a good opportunity, if it all dismantled, to throw some paint at the bare metal surfaces.

Nick

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Agreed. Thankfully the car is pretty much rust free underneath. It was never Driven in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor