Trans filter addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Has anyone added a canister filter to their vehicle? Want to add something in the 20 micron level and would like to see where and what you used/mounted.
Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Has anyone added a canister filter to their vehicle? Want to add something in the 20 micron level and would like to see where and what you used/mounted.
Thanks
I used the standard remote filter setup for mine, it's mounted in the front passenger corner inside the fender

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
More info if you have it sir.
Thanks
I bought something like this years ago and routed it inline with the trans cooler.
But I have braided AN lines and hose ends.
1593559556982.png

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Is your transmission eating itself up that fast that you need something more? If there is metal in the fluid, there is a mechanical issue. If there is clutch material in the fluid I would not being trying to filter it more than stock. The filter is a screen to promote volume flow and keep out big pieces.

Last edited:

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Is your transmission eating itself up that fast that you need something more? If there is metal in the fluid, there is a mechanical issue. If there is clutch material in the fluid I would not being trying to filter it more than stock. The filter is a screen to promote volume flow and keep out big pieces.
Newly rebuilt 4L80E. I understand what you are saying. The stock filter is on the suction side of the pump. An inline setup is pressurized and I've run them before in truck setups with no issues other than really clean fluid. Overkill perhaps

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Why? Unless you have kids dumping stuff/debris in the fill tube I can"t see the need. Change the fluid and filter more often and you should be fine. If you are overheating the fluid and torching clutches the fluid will "wearout" way faster than the internal filter will "get full"

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
From much research on the subject of extra filtration and pressures etc. I find more concern with pressure loss due to cheaply made fluid coolers, stacked plate or not. I'll definitely spend some good money there

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor