Trans for my LS1 swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeStrk

n00b
Nov 3, 2018
Hey there, I've got a 5.7 out of a 98 Camaro that I'm looking to throw in my 82 Elco. I don't know much about transmissions as this is my first real undertaking.

I'm currently settling on a 700r4, but then again I don't know a whole lot about swapping it in to begin with. I feel that a manual trans would be too much of a pain to set up, but I'm open to ideas. Thoughts, anyone?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What engine management system? It seems like a no-brainer to use whatever trans backed the engine if you're using the factory 'puter. 4L60/4L80e would be my choice, but there are other factors.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
4L60E is what came behind that engine, which is physically the same as a 700R4, just electronically controlled. I'd suggest that if you want easy. My personal preference is a six speed but to each their own.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
4L80E all day long.

Reactions: 1 user

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Lonnie Diers has been and is a popular and reputable, high performance transmission builder for TurboBuicks for 20 years. This is what he had to say about transmissions we can use in our cars:

700 or 200?

Honestly its not even a fair fight. The 2004R will handle power that far exceeds that of any 700R4 or 4L60 that can be built at any price. 2004R has a better gear ratio spread, better overdrive ratio, will fit many more applications, lighter, stronger ... I can go on and on. The 700R4 is best left to applications where its the only option such as 4WD or All WD, tow vehicles, Lower HP applications or for folks that are more concerned with budget versus strength and reliability.
--http://www.extremeautomatics.com/whattransdoineed/2004rwhatlevel.html

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor