Trans install and car won’t move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Installed a new th350 in my cutlass. Put it in reverse and car doesn’t move, put it in drive and car doesn’t move. I’m trying to move it out of the garage to finish adding trans fluid but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Does it even TRY to engage in gear?

Did you pre-fill the torque converter? Is there enough fluid in it to cover the pump suction tube/filter? Is the torque converter engaged into the pump tangs? Although transmissions require no break-in period, it should try and go into gear if there's enough fluid.

Not trying to insult your intelligence with these questions, but using it more as a mental checklist.

Reactions: 1 users

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have about 6 in there. I put some in the converter before I installed it. I can feel the shifter going thru the gears. Could my lack of fluid be the issue? First trans install. Trying to figure it all out

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Start it, leave it in park and check your fluid level. You might be too low on fluid, if that’s the case just add until you reach around the middle of the cold marking on the dipstick. If it still doesn’t move at that point you have a problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"A TH350 with stock pan and converter will take between 10 and 11 quarts if completely dry. Once you get 8 or 9 quarts in, start checking the dipstick."

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor