Trans issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

80Cutty

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2011
I dont if im in the correct spot for this but i have a few ?s.

Ive noticed my trans has been shifting hard or barely at all without letting go of the gas for these past few months. Well today after a long winter I took my trans pan off and found it full to the brim with trans fluid. I dont know if thats good or bad. I also found sediment build ups stuck to the bottom of my pan and gravel bits as well and black dust like the trans bands are disenagrating. Im wondering is it ok to just clean the pan and put a new filter and gasket on or will stuff still get in the pan?

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 618
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 618
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 614

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I would clean out the pan, change the filter, & put in some new fluid along with a quart of lucas trans stop slip. That should help it tag a long for a while longer.

80Cutty

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2011
Evan's 85 said:
I would clean out the pan, change the filter, & put in some new fluid along with a quart of lucas trans stop slip. That should help it tag a long for a while longer.

Would you say my trans is slowly but surely dieing ? The trans only has 62000 miles on it. The fluid is dark and not very translucent. I realized the sediments stuck to the bottom turn the fluid silver and glittery and i found some rocks as well upon further inspection well more like pebbles.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Not sure which transmission you have but it looks like a turbo 350 from the pan. If it is, sounds like your vacuum modulator is bad or else no vacuum making it down there. If you take the vacuum line off the modulator and you see any sign of fluid,it is bad. No vacuum or a bad modulator will cause late or no upshift unless you let off the gas and hard downshifts. If you have a 200,your probably bumming...timo

80Cutty

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2011
timo22 said:
Not sure which transmission you have but it looks like a turbo 350 from the pan. If it is, sounds like your vacuum modulator is bad or else no vacuum making it down there. If you take the vacuum line off the modulator and you see any sign of fluid,it is bad. No vacuum or a bad modulator will cause late or no upshift unless you let off the gas and hard downshifts. If you have a 200,your probably bumming...timo

Yes Timo22 its a th350 and bad modulator is what i was thinking as well i just havnt had the time to crawl under there and look until today.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
80Cutty said:
Evan's 85 said:

Would you say my trans is slowly but surely dieing ? The trans only has 62000 miles on it. The fluid is dark and not very translucent. I realized the sediments stuck to the bottom turn the fluid silver and glittery and i found some rocks as well upon further inspection well more like pebbles.
It might've just never had the fluid changed. Some shavings are normal. After the fluid and filter change, just be easy on it and see how it does. I too agree that it would be easy enough to check the modulator while you're messing with the trans. like he said, if it has fluid in the vacuum line, its bad. I would also put an inspection plate on the trans if it's missing. Maybe that's how rocks and dirty made their way into the trans?

80Cutty

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2011
It might've just never had the fluid changed. Some shavings are normal. After the fluid and filter change, just be easy on it and see how it does. I too agree that it would be easy enough to check the modulator while you're messing with the trans. like he said, if it has fluid in the vacuum line, its bad. I would also put an inspection plate on the trans if it's missing. Maybe that's how rocks and dirty made their way into the trans?[/quote]

No this is the third time doing the trans fluid and second time for a new filter in the past 5000 miles. I Replaced the filter after letting it drain all day however i didn't empty the converter. It shifts smoothly almost a non existent shift into first then takes a while to get into second and third does not come into play well ever because i don't take this car on the highway and third gear isn't until 70-75 mph. Second is 35 mph - 75 mph. In my own opinion i do believe this is seriously wrong that second can be that tall.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Did you ever check your modulator? I am almost positive that's your problem. You stated it would shift into if you let off the gas. When you build up speed and let off the gas, it gives your trans. Governor a chance to over rule the modulator and it shifts. I would also check your kick down cable and make sure it moves freely. If it isn't slipping,I believe your transmission will be fine once you straighten this out...timo

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
timo22 said:
Did you ever check your modulator? I am almost positive that's your problem. You stated it would shift into if you let off the gas. When you build up speed and let off the gas, it gives your trans. Governor a chance to over rule the modulator and it shifts. I would also check your kick down cable and make sure it moves freely. If it isn't slipping,I believe your transmission will be fine once you straighten this out...timo
Checked The modulator when i got under the car today i popped the metal line out and there was no transmission fluid inside the line. The car was off for only 5 minutes when checked. I replaced my kickdown cable but i know for sure it sticks because when i was changing it i pulled the little pin out of the trans, thats spose to slide right back in if you let go of it,well it dosnt slide right back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor