Transmission cooler installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've got my radiator out and I'm in the midst of installing a new condenser for my new A/C system. I have my trans cooler removed from my old condenser. My question is, how do you guys have your trans coolers mounted?
I don't want to reuse the tie through the condenser method again. Besides, the new fins seem closer together than the old condenser, and frankly, I don't want to bend the sh*t out of the fins.

So, if you guys can enlighten me a bit, I appreciate it. I guess it would entail a bracket system to mount the cooler away from the condenser. I also have the crossbars across the radiator opening.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
because I had limited space due to the nose and radiator opening on my SS I chose to mount my cooler thru the fins with a 1"wide by 1/2" thick rubber strip ( its actually and old cut up truck mudflap ). On my friends elco we pulled the grills and used flat bar mounted that to the rad support then drilled and bolted the cooler in place

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
because I had limited space due to the nose and radiator opening on my SS I chose to mount my cooler thru the fins with a 1"wide by 1/2" thick rubber strip ( its actually and old cut up truck mudflap ). On my friends elco we pulled the grills and used flat bar mounted that to the rad support then drilled and bolted the cooler in place
So you actually used the "thru the fins" method on yours, only that you used thicker rubber to cushion the cooler...and your friend used the bar stock method. I probably will also do the bar stock thing.
I noticed most coolers that you buy today have the push thru retainers included. I figured now I have the option NOT to use them.

Thanks for your input, Axis.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the solution, put a stick in the car and you won't need to worry about installing a cooler...:popcorn:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
I'd love to put a stick in the car...at least a World ClassT-5.....just can't swing it right now.
If I can do it cheaper than building my 200-4R, I may go for it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 2 spare T5 WC, if I make my way down there I will make sure it will be cheaper than rebuilding your 200 4r. It will cost you a meal at Skippers...:)

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
That sounds great, but I'd still have to come up with a bellhousing, pedals, linkage, flywheel and clutch assembly...and manual shift column.

What are the WC T-5's out of?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I should have figured they were out of a Camaro :confused:

Skipper's is the Blues club that you were telling me about when you lived down here...I remember. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor