Transmission cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neubs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2020
Hi everyone. New on fourm. If this isn't the right thread to post my question I apologize. I'm about to hook up a transmission cooler to my 87 grandprix. When I hook it up, do I leave the bottom transmission line hooked up to the radiator, then splice the top line to the cooler have it flow through the cooler then have it run back to the existing top transmission line to the transmission?

Neubs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2020
Isn't the top of the radiator the output that runs back to the transmission

Neubs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2020
So it would make more sense to have the cooler installed after it goes through the radiator then back in the transmission. Wonder why it says in the manual to do it before it goes back in the radiator then in the transmission.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would put the external cooler on the outlet of the radiator cooler. This may require removing both lines and starting it to see which is pressurized. I’ve done this putting rubber hoses into containers and starting and shutting it off quick.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
So it would make more sense to have the cooler installed after it goes through the radiator then back in the transmission. Wonder why it says in the manual to do it before it goes back in the radiator then in the transmission.

Are you reading your manual right? Mine says to "splice the auxiliary cooler into the return line" going further to explain return to trans.??

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
This is the way I've always seen it done.
1588810037428.png

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor