Transmission cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric1971

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2020
I have a 1988 Monte Carlo SS that I would like to install a transmission cooler on. Does the front nose come have to come off? I can't get the top plate off that is between the nose cone and the radiator? Any advice will be gladly welcomed. Thanks.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm not familiar with the ss's but have you slid underneath to see what's doing from that angle?

Eric1971

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2020
Yes, underneath is completely boxed in with the radiator air duct. I have one more bolt to take out on top and it seems to be attached to the hood latch lever assembly. I can see it barely but can't get an extension on it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It doesn't need to go in front of the radiator.
Couple of questions :
What cooler are you using?
How are you planning to plumb it?
Why the need for an external cooler other than the radiator?

I just swapped out a Hayden and low budget fan for a Derale setup that includes the fan.
Derale Trans Cooler.jpeg

You can see in that I cut holes in the air dam. I'm not sure of their effectiveness, but time will tell.

I don't use the trans cooler in the radiator only because I don't want the trans fluid at 170-190 degrees at the start of a 1/4 mile run.

Reactions: 1 users

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
I installed the B&M transmission cooler for my 2004r last year with no issues, right in front of the fan. I do not have any pictures handy, but, the install was quick. There are plenty of videos on youtube as well. If I remember correctly, I worked this mostly from the topside, I only had to get on a creep and slide under the car to move the transmission lines around and tighten a fitting. My SS is not stock either, lots of the shrouding removed.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
I installed the B&M transmission cooler for my 2004r last year with no issues, right behind the radiator. I do not have any pictures handy, but, the install was quick. There are plenty of videos on youtube as well. If I remember correctly, I worked this mostly from the topside, I only had to get on a creep and slide under the car to move the transmission lines around and tighten a fitting. My SS is not stock either, lots of the shrouding removed.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It doesn't need to go in front of the radiator.
Couple of questions :
What cooler are you using?
How are you planning to plumb it?
Why the need for an external cooler other than the radiator?

I just swapped out a Hayden and low budget fan for a Derale setup that includes the fan. View attachment 180534

You can see in that I cut holes in the air dam. I'm not sure of their effectiveness, but time will tell.

I don't use the trans cooler in the radiator only because I don't want the trans fluid at 170-190 degrees at the start of a 1/4 mile run.

The Rad cooler being a liquid to liquid heat exchanger pulls a lot of heat out of the ATF. If you bypass it you will need to run a liquid to air heat exchanger that is double the manufactuer's recommended size as they expect buyers to keep their rad coolers with their ratings.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The Rad cooler being a liquid to liquid heat exchanger pulls a lot of heat out of the ATF. If you bypass it you will need to run a liquid to air heat exchanger that is double the manufactuer's recommended size as they expect buyers to keep their rad coolers with their ratings.
Are you implying that the radiator will cool the trans to a temp lower than the coolant temp? I understand it will to a point due to location of coolant temp sensor, but nothing dramatic imo. If my coolant temp gets to 225, then I don't want to expect 225 degree coolant temps to be cooling my trans fluid that I'm trying to keep below 200 I don't think - am I missing something?

'they expect the buyer to keep their rad coolers' - who are you referencing by ' they'?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Are you implying that the radiator will cool the trans to a temp lower than the coolant temp? I understand it will to a point due to location of coolant temp sensor, but nothing dramatic imo. If my coolant temp gets to 225, then I don't want to expect 225 degree coolant temps to be cooling my trans fluid that I'm trying to keep below 200 I don't think - am I missing something?

'they expect the buyer to keep their rad coolers' - who are you referencing by ' they'?

The coolant temp sender is generally in the head where the coolant should be the hottest. If your rad is working correctly, then its cool side where the return port is should be cooler than the head and usually the ATF cooler is in the cool side of the rad. If the return port side of your rad is the same temp as your heads, you got big problems.

Basically the rad cooler will quickly cool the ATF to the temp of the cool side of the rad. This reduces the work load on your aftermarket auxiliary liquid to air (L/A) cooler. Without the rad cooler, the L/A cooler has to radiate a lot more heat and gas such as air absorbs heat less efficiently than liquid to liquid does. Liquids are denser than gases so they can absorb heat faster. Water can transfer heat 24 times faster than air can. Air is a poor heat conductor which is why air spaces are used in buildings to help insulate them.

"They" are most aftermarket ATF cooler manufacturers as they generally recommend in their instructions to keep the in rad cooler. In simple terms, two stage cooling is better than one.
dd-jpg.680

faq098_ff.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Great stuff. I'm sure for a hot street application that's ticket. That is how I set my son's 200 up for a 95% street driving application. He never sees 210 in the rad and it works well.

My junk, not so much because I can get well hotter than 210.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor