Transmission help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
I have metric 200 tyranny on my 86 Cutlass with the 307 and as of late been having problems with it shifting into drive it doesn't want to go pass reverse feels like something is in its way and times it goes into gear,now another problem persists when I go into reverse is hesitant but after a while it goes and there is a slight grumbling noise and feeling under floor then it goes in reverse... Now could my transmission be going out or cable maybe too long when trying to go into drive that it doesn't catch and just did transmission fluid and filter change because before had no reverse and doesn't go all the way in park now when changing transmission fluid it's supposed to be in park right...going crazy over this please help me out.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Check your linkage at the firewall for binding and check if the shift lever on the transmission is missing a plastic bushing that the shift rod slips into. If you don't see anything mechanically wrong then lubricate all moving parts and lubricate your shift cable at both ends with a light oil.

Reactions: 1 user

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Check your linkage at the firewall for binding and check if the shift lever on the transmission is missing a plastic bushing that the shift rod slips into. If you don't see anything mechanically wrong then lubricate all moving parts and lubricate your shift cable at both ends with a light oil.
The linkage by firewall was never hooked on and I think a lil rubber or maybe plastic like o ring might of fell off and I forgot to mention it's been like this ever since I replaced original cable and when I look at the cable it looks like it has a kink kind of looks like a little pyramid

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
The kink will cause a tight spot where it hits the sleeve of the cable. That being said, the kink probably happened when that side was shoved and the opposite side was bound up.

Where did the o-ring looking piece come from on the car?

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
The linkage by firewall was never hooked on and I think a lil rubber or maybe plastic like o ring might of fell off and I forgot to mention it's been like this ever since I replaced original cable and when I look at the cable it looks like it has a kink kind of looks like a little pyramid

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
The kink will cause a tight spot where it hits the sleeve of the cable. That being said, the kink probably happened when that side was shoved and the opposite side was bound up.

Where did the o-ring looking piece come from on the car?
I want to say where the rubber sleeve is on cable

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I may be totally wrong here, but I thought the factory setup for a console shift vehicle was that the shifter cable was attached to the column shift linkage and the linkage actually moved the transmission. That way the Park/Neutral switch under the dash would still work.

Anybody else with a console shift car please chime in.

Going under that premise, if the transmission shifter bracket has been modified to accept the cable directly there is a good chance that it is the cause of the cable bind and kinking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
I may be totally wrong here, but I thought the factory setup for a console shift vehicle was that the shifter cable was attached to the column shift linkage and the linkage actually moved the transmission. That way the Park/Neutral switch under the dash would still work.

Anybody else with a console shift car please chime in.

Going under that premise, if the transmission shifter bracket has been modified to accept the cable directly there is a good chance that it is the cause of the cable bind and kinking.
Did I forget to mention it's a floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor