Transmission ID tag U-Drive Screw (rivet) Removal Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You know those little bastages. The little "rivet" that holds the ID tag onto the transmission. I was thinking about how I was going to likely get a good transmission shop to rebuild/restore the transmission in the 85 442. But I also know if that happens, it's going to have to be dunked and cleaned, and...well, the ID tag probably wouldn't hold up. I won't trust any old shop with such a unicorn part like that tag, so I'm figuring I'd have to take it off of there myself before it went to the shop.

Getting a new rivet isn't an issue. But has anyone taken one off? I never have, ironically. I've taken just about every other thing off one of these cars. There's obviously no way to drive it out from the back, so I'm thinking to tape off the plate, take a Dremel cutoff wheel or something like that and grind a slot in the rivet head. Then hopefully take a screwdriver and back it on out, or at least enough to get some vise grips (ok, an adjustable locking plier) on that bad boy and twist it on out of there.

Will I regret this? Or is there a better way? Trying to keep the tag 100% in tact and undamaged.

Ideas please. TIA

Typical tag (69 H/O tag as an example)
Unstamped-OH-Transmission-Tag-1969-Hurst-Oldsmobile-Cutlass.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Center punch, center drill then EZ out, since you don't want to kill/mar/damage the tag.

I have pulled them out of the bottom of cast iron intakes in the past by getting a good bite with locking pliers and rotating CCW, but that's just a stamped steel shield, so no biggie if it gets scraped.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
They USUALLY come out pretty easily once they get started, but LH drillbits are a Godsend, IMO

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor