HELP Transmission issues 84 T Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
I am new to working on G Bodies, T Types, etc. Learning as I go.
I have an 84 T Type with the original transmission. Nothing ever done to it. 120,000 miles on it. The car sat for 7 or more years. I just got it running - rebuilt the motor - and it ran great just driving around normal like. I took it out to jump on it a bit and ran into some issues. It seems really sluggish off the line, (compared to my memory of 7 years ago) even when foot braking and building 8-10 lbs of boost. It jumps once I get to 30 mph and gets to 90 pretty fast.
It will not downshift when floored. I am going to crawl under tomorrow and check linkage.
I also noticed - and will check again tomorrow - when I put it in low/1 and try to manually shift thru the gears it started to stall and didn't seem to respond right when I went to 2nd. I put it in D and it was OK. It also stalled a couple of times when I stopped at a light or sign when in D. Car was at operating temp.
All this happened when I was too far from home so didn't experiment further. Going out tomorrow and go through this again, but close to home.
Any thoughts??
Thanks, Mike

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That sounds like the lock up solenoid sticking on, very common on the original being this old. Stalling at corners due to the load is very common and will feel sluggish. Also would not hurt to check the TV cable adjustment since you had it unhooked and the motor out. With the motor off, open the throttle all the way by hand and press the black button on the TV cable, it will self adjust. Release both and done. Unhook the electrical connection near the pan on the trans driver's side. If it improves, there you go. The pan needs dropped to change it but very simple to do and you probably need new fluid at 120,000 miles anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
That sounds like the lock up solenoid sticking on, very common on the original being this old. Stalling at corners due to the load is very common and will feel sluggish. Also would not hurt to check the TV cable adjustment since you had it unhooked and the motor out. With the motor off, open the throttle all the way by hand and press the black button on the TV cable, it will self adjust. Release both and done. Unhook the electrical connection near the pan on the trans driver's side. If it improves, there you go. The pan needs dropped to change it but very simple to do and you probably need new fluid at 120,000 miles anyways.
Thanks for the info. I'm taking it to my friend and we are going to make the adjustments and change the fluid. I'll post the results soon.

Reactions: 1 user

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
Thanks for the info. I'm taking it to my friend and we are going to make the adjustments and change the fluid. I'll post the results soon.
I adjusted the TV cable and that made a big difference. We are going to drop the pan and clean the ? valve body ? and check the solenoid while under there. It still is not downshifting right.
Thanks for the information!

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
Thanks for the information. I adjusted the TV cable and it made a big difference.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor