Transmission Linkage snapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey guys,

I had a little problem that I was hoping someone could help me with. I was at the mall last night getting a birthday gift for my dad. I was getting in my car to leave, started it up and shifted into drive. I heard a snap and the shifter became really loose and moved freely. I pushed it forward and it went back into park, but I cant pull it into any other gears now. I opened the console up and found that the cable connecting the shifter to the transmission snapped. I was able to pull it all the way out of the tube that it comes out of.

I dont have time to fix it myself because Im at school. I called my mechanic and he said I could either get it towed or have someone hold the brake while another person crawls under the car and shifts the transmission with a pair of pliers or something. First off, is this safe? Second, how would I go about doing it? Its almost impossible to crawl under there without jacking the car up, so I just wonder how safe the whole thing really is (leaving the car in drive on a jack, with a person holding the brake). Has anyone experienced something like this?

Thanks for the help.

IMG-6278.JPG

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
For what it is worth....The factory linkage in Chevrolet cars and El Camino's floor shifters still is hooked up to the steering column. You should be able to grab the area behind the key portion to rotate it through the shift quadrants. Would be a whole lot safer then crawling under a car.
203_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If the mechanic openly suggested to have someone get under a car (running or not) you need a new mechanic. Like 79 USA 1 said use the column bowl to shift to get it home.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That happened to me once. I was forced to get under the car and hook a coat hanger to the shift arm on the trans. I ran the hanger up through the cable housing into the car. I was able to yank on the coat hanger to shift from P to D but that's all. Depending on where your neutral safety switch is, can you manually get it in to Drive and fool the switch into thinking it is in P or N to start the engine by moving the shifter or the lock-out rod on the column?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey guys,

The column trick worked, thanks so much! Saved me a $200 tow truck.

Waiting for the new cable to come in, going to get my mechanic to put it in. Hopefully it all comes out okay.

I found on the drive home that the shifter will work if you're pushing it forward, I.e. 3rd to overdrive, neutral to reverse, etc. but the cable is what allows you to go the other way

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor