Transmission Nightmare [Update - They Made It Right]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Transmission - 700r4 (Fully blue printed, 4-speed overdrive automatic valve body, Rebuilt 10 vane pump, High performance clutch plates, new seals, Corvette servo, Reprogrammed converter clutch lockup)
Source - Unlimited Transmission in Belleville, MI
TC - FTI 2400 stall
Shifter - B&M Stealth 81052

So we get the trans installed. I drive about 1/4 mile....it's start to smoke lightly. I'm thinking there is transmission fluid on the headers so I keep going. I get a mile away, 2nd gear is gone, first still goes. Then it won't shift at all. Then I notice a trail of fluid on the road. I park it, curse out the world, then park it.

I go look at it today and the freaking casing is cracked right near the servo. I call the builder and he says something to the tune of "oh sh*t, this happens sometimes. I've had less than 10 like this in 20 years."

The solution
He tells me I can bring it back for repair or he'll refund my money. I tell him let me think on it. He calls back and says just bring him the car and he'll take care of everything. I ask if he's going to pay for the tow and he says no so I said let me think on it. I end up having the car towed to him via AAA which was about $115 or so (classic plan). To my surprise, when I get there, he'd already paid for the tow. He tells me it'll be a few days and he'll have it back to me.

An hour or two later he says he didn't bother repairing it, he gave me a "new" trans (another rebuilt one) and already has it back in the car and I'm ready to go.

I go to pick it up tomorrow so I'll beat on it right there by his shop to test it out and make sure that it shifts. Wish me luck.

20180807_152537.jpg

20180828_092324.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think you'll be good to go. The builder didn't try to give any excuses or make any claims like you cracked it when you installed it. He did the R&R and paid for the towing so he's a straight up guy. A rare find these days

• Agree
Reactions: 13 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree with Steve. This guy sounds like a straight shooter and isn't trying to f**k you.
I'm sure he'll do the right thing. Good luck!

• Agree

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Honestly l think your lucky most shops would only warranty parts an you pay the labour AGAIN!

Years ago l blew the pump in a fresh rebuilt transmission, maybe 5 miles on it. I paid tow an labour. How pissed was l? More pissed it happen in no man's land an cell phones weren't around back then, long wait for a vehicle to come by!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Nope, not really that bad at all. My TBSS sh*t out an RPM Level 5 and a Yank converter in under 6000 miles. The debacle that followed is now internet lore and gives children nightmares.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JCutlass 88

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2014
I was reading this expecting a different outcome, wish more people would do more business that way!!! Good luck!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
When my 200-4R sh*t the front pump seal on the way back to Colorado in Ohio I got to pay for a tow off the freeway, pay for my wife's sister to drive my truck and trailer to come get me and drive home with 3 women (wife, sister in law, niece) telling me I was a moron for driving an old car to Maine and back. Turns out the input on the converter had too much runout which took out the pump bushing and seal. I couldn't even get a call back from the company I bought the converter from. So your nightmare is a lot better than my nightmare ( the worst part was being stuck at the shittiest hotel in Mansfield Ohio)

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
well geesh, maybe I owe the guy a beer or something.

Update:

The shop is about 30 miles from my house. I went to pick it up, drove it around for a while and it seemed fine. I decided to make the voyage back home and it performed as it should. I haven't taken on the freeway yet, due to the car not being completely assembled, but I'm grateful for the way it worked out. I'm also grateful to the 4 different police officers from 4 different departments/cities that I saw going home that didn't pull me over despite not having side view mirrors, no rear bumper cover, no bulbs in the tail lights, no shoulder strap seat belt, etc...

• Haha

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It would be a good day for you to buy a lottery ticket, those cops could have ruined your day....

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor