Transmission rebuild kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Looking into trans rebuild kits for my 700r4. Wanted to get some opinions on good kits, has anyone ever used the monster in a box kits? I'm unsure if their mega monster in a box kit is enough. Any opinions or guidance is appreciated.

http://www.monstertransmission.com/700R4-Rebuild-Kit_c_4320.html

Some background, this trans will be going behind my 383 stroker small block, it is a solid 475 hp 450 torque motor. It is a 10.0:1 compression motor, with 185cc heads (Edelbrock E-street), air gap intake, comp xr276hr cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, total lift of int: .536 exh: .544, duration is 224/230 @ .050 http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=188&sb=2

It is very similar to the first set-up in this episode of engine masters:

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Man from everything I have heard and seen online, you want to stay as far away from Monster transmission as possible. There are forum threads on multiple sites that go on for days about how bad their stuff is.
Now, that is all mainly for their actual transmissions. So take what I said with a grain of salt. I'm sure their kits are re-labeled from another manufacture. So who knows. But just figured I would give the heads up.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Man from everything I have heard and seen online, you want to stay as far away from Monster transmission as possible. There are forum threads on multiple sites that go on for days about how bad their stuff is.
Now, that is all mainly for their actual transmissions. So take what I said with a grain of salt. I'm sure their kits are re-labeled from another manufacture. So who knows. But just figured I would give the heads up.

I kinda heard the same thing and feel the same way. I know a lot of people say to steer clear of their transmissions, but was hoping that their kits would still be a good buy with how complete they seem to be.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Christ no! No. No. NO!

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
I heard that you should run very fast

I've never dealt with them though

I heard also that the original owners/operators sold to the current owner. So that a good piece turned into a not so good piece and even worse customer service

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Ok, so I guess Monster Transmission is completely off the table, any one know of any good, complete rebuild kits or a list of parts for a 700r4 that can handle 450+ lb/ft?

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
I would go with a kit from Summit or another long time, good standing source. Might pay a little more but it will be worth it in the end.
Just browse some kits, read the reviews and make your decision.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ok, so I guess Monster Transmission is completely off the table, any one know of any good, complete rebuild kits or a list of parts for a 700r4 that can handle 450+ lb/ft?
Good luck, it will still be a 700R4. Upgrade to the 5 pinion planetary assembly plus anything else that is a known failure point in that trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor