Transmission shifter/hookup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1300gsxr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2016
Picked up a 84 Monte Carlo SS and one of the many things wrong with it is the transmission was never hooked up, and might have the wrong shifter or pieces missing.

The prior owner said the transmission gave out and he put in another th350 (doesn't know where it came from). It looks as if I can just put the shifter on the bottom nut, but what is the other part of the bracket for? Only thing I could find was a diagram showing a column shifter, so maybe I only need to hook this up, but I don't want to mess anything up. Here's a picture of the shift arm:

20180913_110920.jpg

I'm used to electronic controlled transmissions, so I'm not quite sure how to hook up the various vacuum lines and if any "tuning" can be done, or if there's any electrical at all I need to connect to this transmission (again, very green at older transmissions so sorry).

If it's relevant, it's hooked to an L31 vortec 350 which I'm going to swap to a carburetor. Hope to swap to LT4 hot cam and upgrade springs, lifters, and rockers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
that linkage is from a column shifter, and it looks like a factory cable, so if you cant find the original linkage youll probably have to buy an aftermarket shifter with the cable and hardware

Reactions: 1 user

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
that linkage is from a column shifter, and it looks like a factory cable, so if you cant find the original linkage youll probably have to buy an aftermarket shifter with the cable and hardware

Yeah. I found some linkage in my trunk that looks like it'll work, but haven't had the time to really take a good look unfortunately, but when I do, I'll post it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor