Transmission shifter/hookup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Picked up a 84 Monte Carlo SS and one of the many things wrong with it is the transmission was never hooked up, and might have the wrong shifter or pieces missing.

The prior owner said the transmission gave out and he put in another th350 (doesn't know where it came from). It looks as if I can just put the shifter on the bottom nut, but what is the other part of the bracket for? Only thing I could find was a diagram showing a column shifter, so maybe I only need to hook this up, but I don't want to mess anything up. Here's a picture of the shift arm:

20180913_110920.jpg

I'm used to electronic controlled transmissions, so I'm not quite sure how to hook up the various vacuum lines and if any "tuning" can be done, or if there's any electrical at all I need to connect to this transmission (again, very green at older transmissions so sorry).

If it's relevant, it's hooked to an L31 vortec 350 which I'm going to swap to a carburetor. Hope to swap to LT4 hot cam and upgrade springs, lifters, and rockers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It looks like it's missing the rod (or linkage) that goes up to the column selector, which helps control the neutral safety switch and backup lights when shifting to neutral or reverse.

You'll also need a vacuum line/ connection from the back of the carb or intake to the modulator on the transmission. Nothing complicated there.
Also, a kick down cable (and bracket) is needed.

What type of shifter is currently in there....stock or aftermarket?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, what parts exactly are you referring to on the column pivot?

And that's good news on the rest of the hookup! Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a You Tube that I found. It's not too clear, but it does show some of the parts that you'll need. His setup is a little different. He has a column shift. But at least it will give you a general idea of what you're working with. Sorry I couldn't find anything more comprehensive with more detail.

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Awesome! Not sure where I'd find the parts. What are they for? Just display prnd?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
They still move the collar on the column for the neutral safety switch and I believe reverse lights. They're on ebay. The long bar goes from the column tab in the engine compartment down along the firewall to under the car, and hooks into the other bar. I have some pics of my linkage. There's only around 6 pieces total, not including clips and washers. The two bars, a set bolt and it's housing and spring washer, a spring, its washer, and a lil plastic bushing that rids in the socket part of the bracket on the proportioning valve.

Disclaimer: 1st pic is not mine, but the other 5 are. You still need them even with a floor shifter to have it work properly. look around on ebay, make sure they say 3 speed, or TH350/Th350c or Th200c. The 3 speed and 4 speed autos use slightly different linkage.

Attachments

• linkage.jpg
    linkage.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • linkage1.jpg
    linkage1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 310
  • linkage2.jpg
    linkage2.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 287
  • linkage3.jpg
    linkage3.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 417
  • linkage4.jpg
    linkage4.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 356
  • linkage5.jpg
    linkage5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 293

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I took my pics as i was messing with the linkage trying to get it to not bind up, so it looks a little janky, but all the parts are there and in the right place.

Reactions: 1 users

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks MrSony! I might actually have a few of these parts and just didn't know where they went. Now I just need to figure out the other issue I posted with the power steering pump and I'll be golden! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor