Transmission Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolthisisnuts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Hey All, I'm looking for a high performance transmission shop in the NY/NJ area to rebuild my 4L60E. Any suggestions?

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Hey All, I'm looking for a high performance transmission shop in the NY/NJ area to rebuild my 4L60E. Any suggestions?
I just had a transmission built and installed at Fisher Auto Transmission in Fairfield, NJ and would recommend it. They have a lot full of cars from the 40's, 50's, 60's and up to the modern era. They do lots of work, not just transmissions.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Check with 64nailhead, He's from NY and he runs his transmissions behind some power and has spoken positively about his transmission guy before.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This may be an unwelcome suggestion but depending on your power level and how you drive the car, you might consider upgrading to an 80/85E since the 60E needs overhauled. I had my 65E built twice and threw a lot of upgraded parts (billet input shaft, sun shell, servo, etc., etc.) at it and it wouldn't hold up behind a 5.3 with a mild cam and headers. I've since swapped to an 85E and don't regret it at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This may be an unwelcome suggestion but depending on your power level and how you drive the car, you might consider upgrading to an 80/85E since the 60E needs overhauled. I had my 65E built twice and threw a lot of upgraded parts (billet input shaft, sun shell, servo, etc., etc.) at it and it wouldn't hold up behind a 5.3 with a mild cam and headers. I've since swapped to an 85E and don't regret it at all.
X2.

60e's will work just fine behind mild builds if built well. But they really shine on stock (sub 400ft/lb) builds. Considering a stock 80e will withstand 800ft/lbs, it's not a hard decision other than 80e's are getting harder to find, but not too hard.

Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I just had a transmission built and installed at Fisher Auto Transmission in Fairfield, NJ and would recommend it. They have a lot full of cars from the 40's, 50's, 60's and up to the modern era. They do lots of work, not just transmissions.
Really? My boss called him to look at his caddy over the winter. He told him to bring it right down, and he’d take a look at it. The car sat there for a week and he never even looked at it. Wound up taking it somewhere else. Another guy I work with had his trans and rear done there around the same time. Took forever and he just had to bring it back a few weeks ago because he had a bunch of metal shavings in the rear. All I’ve heard were good things about them,up until these past 2 guys. As far as my boss’ case I was right next to him when he made the calls so it’s first hand.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
As was said, Freddy Brown at FB transmissions, or my favorite Select Performance in West Babylon NY. Eddie built my powerglides and T-400's for 25 years when I was racing.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
How is it that there's this many in New York,but when I was asking around Boston/new england area I had crickets/squirmy people on the other end of the phone😆 I'm just jealous

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor