Transmission support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
What's the safest way to support the trans while installing my new crossmember? Thinking piece of 2 X10 under the pan? I'm a body man not a mechanic, kinda shows

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There really isn't much weight at the transmission support point so I wouldn't be too worried. The engine and transmission are supported by the engine mounts so the assembly is just pivoting on the engine mounts when the transmission support is removed. I've used a 2x4 that extended past the sides of the pan with no problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
There really isn't much weight at the transmission support point so I wouldn't be too worried. The engine and transmission are supported by the engine mounts so the assembly is just pivoting on the engine mounts when the transmission support is removed. I've used a 2x4 that extended past the sides of the pan with no problem.
Thanx,I'm using a piece of 2X12 about 18 inches long. Is it necessary to retain the original cat support that fits in with the trans mount ? Is it used to connect dual exhaust to?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
No, you don't need that cat bracket as long as your not using that heavy original cat. I have one hanger at the back of each muffler and another for each tail pipe. For the cat I have 2 of these Magnaflow spun cat.

magnaflow-59958.jpg

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
No, you don't need that cat bracket as long as your not using that heavy original cat. I have one hanger at the back of each muffler and another for each tail pipe. For the cat I have 2 of these Magnaflow spun cat.

View attachment 63343
Just finished installing my Summit crossmember, pretty easy, specially since I'm not a mechanic. At least I have all the tools I needed, like a 15 mm swivel socket to get the bolts attaching the mount to the trans. Picking up my Flowmaster heaters tomorrow at Summit, the cats and Pypes exhaust system are being delivered this week.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad that crossmember went in relatively easy...it was great dealing with you and it's good there was no charges getting it over the border....

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor