Transmission Swap Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewayz_97

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2014
Hey guys, I have 1980 Malibu sedan with the original metric transmission. The trans is on its last leg with 3rd and reverse almost not even going into gear, so that means it's time to put another in. I have a 2 speed powerglide in my shed and I need something to stick in my car for the time being. What problems, if any would I run into swapping it in place of my current trans? What would I need new? Other than the torque converter, which if I had it rebuilt, would it work? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a 17 year old who is slowly learning to be a "backyard mechanic". Thank y'all

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
There are a couple different lengths of Powerglide models. If you have the longer one, it's a direct swap. Either one will bolt in but you would need a longer driveline if you use the shorter version PG. IIRC PGs use a solid rod system instead of a cable for the kickdown, so hopefully you have that also. Your shifter will work but the indicator will obviously be wrong.
If you don't have the torque converter for the PG you'll need to get one. They aren't interchangeable. That may make the swap stop making sense because you can usually find a good used TH350 w/converter for less than the cost of a PG converter. Prices being equal I'd choose a TH350 over a PG to keep the extra gear.

Last edited:

Sidewayz_97

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks for the response. I'd love to get a 350 turbo, but with my McSalary, funds are quite limited. I got the 'glide out of an old Chevelle and kept everything with it and I found the torque converter for it this morning. But will I have any issues regarding the shift linkage other than the indicator (which is actually broken)?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The shift lever on the PG may be different. Some PG's had welded on shift levers. Some cars had linkage rods for kickdown some had a cable. There are kits available to use a cable$$. But if your PG was linkage actuated then don't worry, a lack of kickdown isn't too big of a deal. Just shift manually for passing, extra acceleration etc. You will have to find out at what road speed you DO NOT want to downshift due to RPM.
I will say a weak engine or low numerical rear gears will feel really sluggish with a PG. If you have both low power and low numerical gears the car won't be fun to drive.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Is the transmission case aluminum or cast iron?

Sidewayz_97

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2014
It's an aluminum one, but the motor I have is quite powerful I must say. It ain't a drag car by any stretch but even with the weak transmission (which 3rd went out on me yesterday) the thing really moves. But I'm only getting 9-10 mpg right now so that's another issue which I think is related to the bad transmission.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The PG isn't going to help that bad fuel mileage for sure.

Sidewayz_97

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2014
Well, despite the recommendation to not put the glide in, I put it in anyways, and holy crap, that was the best thing I could'v done to the car. It did require a bit of fab work but it's in and I'll try to get pics up. But now my speedometer doesn't work. I tried to stick the speedo gear from the metric transmission in, but it's still stuck on 0. Any ideas on what that could be about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor