Transmission Swap Too! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
After discovering the band adjustment bolt on my supposed TH350C, now really a TH250C, and with the obstinate Torque Convertor that refuses to seat all the way, and attempting to install it now 3 times with no success, I have decided to seek a TH350 to finish this! It then occurred to me that the driveline will be a slightly different spline size too. Am I correct?

Will a TH350 be the same as a TH350C when it comes to the shaft or am I looking for a TH350
only driveshaft too? The seller has one to go with the transmission, out of a GBody, so I am getting it just to be safe, but in my plan was never a transmission swap. Everyone told me the 250C will last about an hour, so what would be the point of installing it just to blow it up? I think my Dad is telling me something, making sure I don't waste time, energy and money on the damn project from HELL! This is change #57 in the simple engine swap, and I blew my budget 5 months ago! Money Pit is starting to be my wife's name for it...Damn I wish I had some help! Short of a grenade...

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A TH350C is the one with a lock up converter, TH350 is the regular non-lock up one. Your driveshaft will work as the TH350/TH250/TH200/TH200 4R are all the same lenth bellhousing to tailshaft.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you can't get the convertor seated in a TH250, how different do you think a TH350 will be?

Have you verified that the correct convertor is being used? "C"s and "regular" THxx0 use different convertors.

The TH 250C is fine for "normal" driving, I have owned several which served me well

To answer your question, the TH250, TH250C,TH350, and TH350C all use the same shift lever, and driveshaft. Just put a TH350 in my wagon that replaced the TH250C that was in it, that replaced the original TH350C. No changes to any peripherals were required for any of these swaps.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good call and yes, a direct swap. I smoked my TH250C in one day behind my mild 403. It did have 400,000 km behind an Olds 307 then Olds 350. The 403 was just too much. I would buy the Jegs 2300 stall converter for the regular TH350. Only $100 and has good reviews.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
A TH350C is the one with a lock up converter, TH350 is the regular non-lock up one. Your driveshaft will work as the TH350/TH250/TH200/TH200 4R are all the same lenth bellhousing to tailshaft.

Thanks. I figured the difference was WB length mostly, short vs long tail being the difference between a mid-size and G Body

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
If you can't get the convertor seated in a TH250, how different do you think a TH350 will be?

Have you verified that the correct convertor is being used? "C"s and "regular" THxx0 use different convertors.

The TH 250C is fine for "normal" driving, I have owned several which served me well

To answer your question, the TH250, TH250C,TH350, and TH350C all use the same shift lever, and driveshaft. Just put a TH350 in my wagon that replaced the TH250C that was in it, that replaced the original TH350C. No changes to any peripherals were required for any of these swaps.

I am unsure why this TC won't seat. I figure it was somehow damaged in removing it. It just WON'T get the 2 clicks and seat all the way. Someone else can figure it out if they want it. I changed the filter only tool, nothing apart but the pan off. The TC is what came off and was working fine. I have had no troubles with TH 400 or TH 350 getting the TC on and seated, I have done it dozens of times! So it is not the loose nut working on it. That is why I think it will be different!

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Good call and yes, a direct swap. I smoked my TH250C in one day behind my mild 403. It did have 400,000 km behind an Olds 307 then Olds 350. The 403 was just too much. I would buy the Jegs 2300 stall converter for the regular TH350. Only $100 and has good reviews.

I may not have the torque of a 403, but mine will be above 365 hp. I would rather rest assured it is beefy enough so it doesn't strand me the first time I get challenged by some zoomie. I don't plan to race it, but there will be times I need to get the gunk out! My wife even asked me why I need horsepower. Before I am done I will be getting both wheels spinning instead of one and the TH 350 can handle my high rear end too! "Don't need it honey, got to, got to , got have it! :giggle:

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State

I was not concerned about the length but the spline size on the front end. I did get my answer a few messages after yours so I have the answer, but thanks. I would love to report 2 steps forward and no steps back sometime in this project...I am making a lot of stupid choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor